First Communion Cake?

Decorating By anikahmae Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 4:04pm by PJ37

anikahmae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anikahmae Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 4

My friend wants me to make a cake for her son's 1st communion. She wants a large cross that looks like stained glass. I have the Wilton cross pan, but this cake needs to serve 60 or more people. I thought of placing cross cake on top of a sheet cake, but that seems so boring. Any ideas? TIA!

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 4

Don't do the pan and bake a half sheet and cut it. There are templates on CC on how to cut a cross out of a quarter sheet and half sheet. It's much better than the pan. Then do the stained glass design on top. I am doing that next month sometime for a delayed St. Joseph's Altar meal.

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 4

Now, I have no experience with this, but have you worked with poured sugar? I was thinking you could do a tiered cake and then do a poured sugar cross on the top in different colors making it seem like stained glass. Also, could you do a gumpaste cross and attach pieces of colored fondant to it - and then steam the fondant so it looks shiny? Good luck and make sure you post pics! icon_smile.gif

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, just cut the rectangular cake lengthwise, use one side for the crosspiece. Cut the other side of the cake at the 1/3 mark, put at the top of the cake, use the other 2/3 at the bottom. See cross cake in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%