Using Meringue Candy On Cake?

Decorating By SammieB Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 11:32pm by bakecaker

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 5

I saw a blog on how to make meringue robin egg candy, and of course my forest thought was how cute they would be on an Easter cake. But I've never made meringues before, and I ren't sure how they would react with buttercream. Would the icing react with the candy at all? Would it be better to use them on fondant?

I'm just looking for something to use other than royal icing, gumpaste, fondant, etc.

4 replies
bakecaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakecaker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 5

Hey Sammie,

I think it might have been my blog post that you saw here:
http://bakecakery.com/2011/04/20/robin-egg-meringue-recipe-tutorial/

The fat in the buttercream will definitely dissolve the meringue. They actually start to melt if left uncovered just from humidity after a day, so you'd want them to be a last minute addition to a cake that wasn't going to be sitting out more than a few hours.

Glad you liked the post!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for posting the link--those are fabulous!

I've seen meringues with chocolate chips or smaller chocolate shards in them. How do you think that would work with your robin egg meringues?

I'm wondering if the chocolate might just muddy up the blue.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, it was your blog! I saw southernsavers.com link to it, and thought they were just adorable! That's kind of what I figured, but I thought I'd ask the brilliant cake central crew just in case. At least I know they would probably do okay on fondant. I'm used to last minute throw on the cake decorations. icon_wink.gif Thank you so much for your response! Great work too!

bakecaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakecaker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 5

dawncr - you might be onto something with the chocolate chips or shards. These bake at a relatively low temperature, so I don't think the chocolate would get too melty. My fear would be that you'd end up with pitted looking eggs instead of a smooth surface (which was already kind of hard to achieve icon_smile.gif ) Worth a shot, though. If anybody tries it, let me know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%