How To Cut Precise With An X-Acto Knife

Decorating By jem2131 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 5:51pm by kristiemarie

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:16am
post #1 of 10

So i recently bought an x-acto knife and i can't seem to cut precisely.. Every time i cut out a specific shape it seems as my fondant pulls down as i cut the fondant with the knife.. Am i doing something wrong ? I use MMF , can that be the problem ? Whatever i seem to cut never comes out nice .. by the time i completely cut the shape out it has lost it's complete shape icon_sad.gif please help.. thanks soo much

9 replies
jem2131 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 10

Does anyone have any tips ? all advice is welcomed.. thanks icon_smile.gif

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 10

Try letting the fondant dry for a couple of minutes or pop it into the freezer....either way will help the fondant firm up a bit so that it holds it shape and is easier to cut. HTH!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 10

When I have to cut a soft piece of fondant, I use short, choppy motions with the x-acto so it won't pull. THis works especially when trying to cut around a corner. HTH. Oh--and once you have the item cut out, you can fix any jagged areas you made.

jem2131 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks alot guys !!! I will def try out both of your methods !!!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 10

I also let mine dry a little. About 5-10 minutes and then cut. Then I just smooth the edges

jem2131 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

I also let mine dry a little. About 5-10 minutes and then cut. Then I just smooth the edges

This may sound like a dumb question lol but how do you smooth the edges ?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 10

When at all possible, I cut my fondant with a pizza cutter or the little smooth wheelie tool that also has the stitch marker wheel on the other end. These never pull the fondant. When there are parts that have more detail involved, I cut with my x-acto knife the same way ddaigle does, in short up-and-down strokes, rather than pulling the knife along.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

This may sound like a dumb question lol but how do you smooth the edges ?

The fondant should still be pliable enough to 'shape' it if needed. For instance, if you use a cutter - like a star - if the it doesn't completely cut through nice and cleanly, you can always take your finger and rub the jagged edges, tuck them under or shape how you'd like it. HTH.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 10

Also,make sure your knife is clean. I mean, squeaky clean. If there is any dried fondant on it, it pulls.

A brand new exacto shouldn't pull, it should glide right through!

Oh! And also I tried an "off brand" of xtacto, and it doesn't work as well as the real deal. Just my opinion!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%