Gearing Up For Another Attempt At A Topsy Turvy!

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 4:32am by Marianna46

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:31am
post #1 of 5

I need prayers, good cake vibes, lucky cake dust, ANYTHING LOL I am sooo nervous about this cake I am working on!!! This is only my second topsy turvy, the first one didn't make it to the party icon_cry.gif This one is for a wedding cake!!! Luckily, its a friends wedding, not a far drive, and its only 2 tiers, very small. I am going to watch Sharron's DVD again tonight just to make sure I am getting this right! I have 3 layers of 8 and 6in cakes in the fridge, settling. They are dammed, and filled with strawberry filling, and awaiting carving and ganache! PRAYERS PLEASE! Sharon, your DVDs have made a difference so far, lets hope they did me some good on this one too!! EEEE!!![img][/img]

4 replies
SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:46am
post #2 of 5

Good luck to you! I'm sure everything will come out wonderful and this one will make it to the wedding. I understand your being scared my first attempt at a topsy turvy didn't make it the party either but, I have not been brave enough to try it again. So I wish you good luck! Just take a deep breath, relax and make an awesome cake!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:12am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

I have 3 layers of 8 and 6in cakes in the fridge, settling. They are dammed, and filled with strawberry filling, and awaiting carving and ganache!

Cakes can't settle in the refrigerator.

If you dam and fill before carving, you'll be carving away your dam and nothing will be left to hold the filling in.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:27am
post #4 of 5

I am using sharon's technique of a double dam...and I may not even carve the sides! I may just do the top! Pinkcakbox does beautiful topsy turvy cakes without carving the sides...and they cant settle in the fridge? why not? How to you get a cake to settle with a perishable filling then? I have them weighted slightly....for compression to aide in the settling....I do not think my filling is perishable, but its homemade so I am not sure...Its a cooked strawberry filling with frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and cornstarch, boiled for 2 mins...is this perishable? Strawberries can sit out for a day or so, but cooked with sugar, seems like it'd last longer, just to be safe is why I put it in the fridge LOL! I accept any advice icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:32am
post #5 of 5

I don't mean to be contrary, but I always let my cakes settle in the fridge or in the freezer and they carve very nicely. But you're right about carving away the dam, CWR41. It would probably be a good idea to fill the cake with thick buttercream (the thing you usually make the dam out of) if you want to carve after putting your layers together. Unfortunately, topsy-turvies can be tricky. I think it's the overhang on the top edge of each layer having to bear the weight of all that heavy fondant. I wish you the best of luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%