How Do You Get The Right Shade?

Decorating By libbygrl109 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 1:07am by sewsweet2

libbygrl109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libbygrl109 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 3

I need to make some cartoon characters out of royal icing for my son's birthday cake. I want the colors to be as close to the real things as possible. Is there a technique to color-matching before you add it to the icing, or is it just trial and error until I get it right?

2 replies
Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 3

You can purchase icing gel color sets from Wilton for certain characters. Otherwise, I'd say its experience mixed with a little trial and error icon_wink.gif Familiarity with how the color wheel works also helps a lot!

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:07am
post #3 of 3

If I'm trying to color match my buttercream to a certain color I experiment first. I use a styrofoam plate with a tablespoon of buttercream. I put my coloring around the plate. Then I start mixing keeping track of the amount and type of coloring I'm adding. Then let it set for an hour or so to allow the colors to darken and develop. (Very important to write down your "recipe" that you used to achieve the coloring). If I'm way off base, I only have a tbsp of icing to pitch. I also keep track of the brand of coloring using when I mix. I have a notebook that I keep track of my coloring formulas. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%