How Do You Not Eat!!!???

Lounge By jennifercullen Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 1:18am by Rachie204

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 29

I've been making cakes for a few weeks now straight one after the other, (or pretty much, I'm a beginner, they take me a long time!) I just wondered how do all of you manage to make cakes without eating the cut off parts? I'm finding it really difficult and I'm on the weight watchers diet at the moment too! Its got to the point today where I made myself throw away the cake leftovers and now I'm constantly craving cake lol. I'm thinking about making and decorating one just for me!

Do you eat much cake?

28 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 29

I give it to my husband ! Thankfully I make a lot of cake but dont eat it all that much . Chocolate on the other hand is a whole different story . I find myself eating handfuls of the little chocolate chips I am supposed to be keeping for cakes icon_biggrin.gif

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 29

I was like that when I first started, but now I just look at cake as nothing special LOL. I cant even eat american buttercream anymore because I ate so much of it the first few months. Dont worry it shall pass as long as you give into your cravings when they happen, other than that I hardly eat cake anymore.

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 29

Since I started using the baking strips and nail I hardly have any cake that I'm leveling off. Eating that doesn't make me feel bad since the cakes I'm making are going out I want to be able to make my cake and eat it too icon_smile.gif

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 29

YES!! I have the exact problem!! I have gained--I'm ASHAMED to say-- over 20 pounds in the last year!!! It's awful. And, I also sometimes "level" cakes that don't need to be leveled just to get to eat some of it. In the beginning I called it my "sacrifice to the cake Gods" LOL!! I am really struggling with losing this weight though and to be totally fair, it isn't ALL related to cake, I actually had one of my medications changed at the beginning of last year, when this all started and that has had a terrible impact on my weight, however, there isn't another medication that I can take right now (allergic to so many) so I'm stuck. And, I'm miserable!!
Anyway, just know that you are not alone...

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 29

I chew gum! Acts as a pretty good deterant for me. Nobody wants other food in their mouth when they're chewing gum and because you have to go through the effort of taking it out or spitting it out entirely before you bite into cake scraps it makes you stop and think. (Sometimes however, the cake just looks too good and I have to give in to temptation!)

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe07

Since I started using the baking strips and nail I hardly have any cake that I'm leveling off. Eating that doesn't make me feel bad since the cakes I'm making are going out I want to be able to make my cake and eat it too icon_smile.gif

I agree! The best thing to do is figure out how to bake your cakes so you don't have to level them. If there are no scraps to cut off then you don't have to worry about temptation! On occasion, if I do have to cut anything off of a cake I throw it straight into the garbage. If I put it onto a plate, I WILL eat it icon_smile.gif

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 29

i chew gum as well. or have some carrots on the ready to snack. I also rarely want to eat a cake that i've made...and get this! my husband doesn't really like sweets that much! hates chocolate! So unless the cake is going to a friend, so many of my cakes get photographed, one or two slices out, then go in the trash after a few days when they get stale.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 29

Scraps go into the freezer until I have enough to make cake balls to take to an out of my house event....inevitably I return home with nothing left!

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 29

My problem isn't eating the cake. (Mine come out of the oven pretty flat.) But my problem is eating the frosting!!! I went through most of the drawer of clean spoons a couple days ago when I had bad sugar cravings and kept "sneaking" back for "one more" taste. UGH!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 29

I allow myself to take a small taste of the cake ("quality control" icon_smile.gif), then the rest of the scraps go into the trash. This is the only way I have found to not eat them. I like the suggestion that many of you gave to chew gum. I will have to try that one!

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:03am
post #12 of 29

Oh my gosh, I have the same problem! I could eat an entire Kitchen Aid mixer bowl of frosting if I let myself! I'm ashamed to say that I also run out of spoons from taking "just one more spoonful" to taste. I may have to give chewing gum a try.

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:05am
post #13 of 29

After doing it for a long time, you won't even want it anymore. But I would suggest throwing the scraps in the sink and running water over them. If you throw them away, they are still lingering! I used to constantly stop and eat random things in my pantry. But I stopped doing that and lost 20 pounds. It's more of a mind set. Good luck, and I know this is cliche, but brush your teeth. It really does work! icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:42am
post #14 of 29

I actually find I get so obsessed while caking, that I forget to eat altogether. This past Saturday, I never ate at all, until dinner time at 7pm. (I wouldn't recommend this diet to anyone!)

Jacscakes213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jacscakes213 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:47am
post #15 of 29

I take just a small bite for quality check and then throw the rest into a bowl for cake balls...knowing I need it for that helps me not eat all of the left over!!!!!!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #16 of 29

I have been making cakes for about 6 years and also have a cake tooth (as well as a sweet tooth) and find it very difficult to leave scraps alone. When I teach the Wilton classes and demonstrate how to level a cake I always tell my students in a joking voice, "Don't throw the scraps away cause making cakes is hard and your energy level goes down. Grab a piece of the leftover and slap some icing on it and your energy level will go back up." May saying is "Cake, the breakfast of champions."
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:34am
post #17 of 29

I just think along this line...

Do i want my thighs to look like cake?
All fluffy, round and soft to the touch ...... icon_surprised.gif irkkkk, no thank you.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:34am
post #18 of 29

I give all the scraps to the Hubby and the Kids or I would weigh 500 lbs! lol

jennifercullen Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:57am
post #19 of 29

Thanks for the advice! I might try chewing gum, but I'd be a bit scared in case I spat it in the caoe mix by accident!

Tokazodo, I know what you mean I forget to eat when I'm decorating meal wise, I just never forget about the cake and frosting lol.

Throwing them away is probably the best idea, but then my boyfriend and kids would complain. I did try last weekend to save the cake scraps to make cake pops for the first time, but there was a heck of a lot of cake waste and it didn't look like it was going down despite everyone picking so in the end I did put it in the trash.

I don't know if you can get those bake even strips in the UK? I haven't seen them anywhere but may have to Google. Anyway, plan for next time is plenty of gum on hand, trash bin at my side, bake even strips and nail in my pan lol

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:40am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolynAndrea

After doing it for a long time, you won't even want it anymore.

totally agree! Its rare that I even eat cake at all.

I was also on weight watchers and remember, its ok to eat cake as long as you budget it in your meal/point allocation for the day. I've lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks and I've been eating MIlky Way bars about every other day, plus pizza and I even splurged on Wendy's fries! But I balance all of that with lots of soup-n-salad, baked potatoes and naked green beans (that means no butter, for you non-weight watcher folks!). thumbs_up.gif

jennifercullen Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:24pm
post #21 of 29

yes I do try to point them in, but once i get more than 5-10 points over my daily allowance I bury my head lol. I've still been losing though, 1lb per week usually and 4 this week despite the cake, pizzas, mcdonalds breakfast etc lol. icon_smile.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:42pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeal

My problem isn't eating the cake. (Mine come out of the oven pretty flat.) But my problem is eating the frosting!!! I went through most of the drawer of clean spoons a couple days ago when I had bad sugar cravings and kept "sneaking" back for "one more" taste. UGH!

oh the frosting gets me every time!!!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:21am
post #23 of 29

I don't eat cake, I actually don't really like "bakery type" cake or icing. We had cake like, carrot, coconut, caramel when I was growing up but usually more pie or cobblers. I remember my first bakery cake was my sister's wedding cake, it was a much icing as cake and it got stuck in my throat. Gross.

Don't get me wrong, my ass needs its own state but its because I'm a breadaholic oh and potatoes, corn, pasta. Man I'm hungry.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:03pm
post #24 of 29

I very rarely will eat cake any more. I have a tendency to scrape off most of the icing, and usually have to have ice cream with my slice of cake. After slicing off the top, if I have to, I'll try a piece with icing sometimes as quality control. But just a small piece and then I'm good.

I HATE bakery cake! More specifically, the shelf safe buttercream crap. The whipped icing isn't too bad, but the thick, dry buttercream is nasty!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:12pm
post #25 of 29

I don't eat cake much either...especially the flavors that I make a lot. The part that is leveled off gets put into gallon ziploc bags and distributed. My husband will take them to work or I'll take them to my aunt's salon. They call it my "trash". Actually, if I haven't taken any in a while, they'll call and say, "We'd like some trash this week if you have any." icon_lol.gif

The uncommon flavors (carrot, coconut w/ key lime, chocolate caramel pound) I will sometimes nibble on a scrap or two.

jennifercullen Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 10:19pm
post #26 of 29

All I have made is vanilla sponge cake, or chocolate, any of those other favours I think I might have to tape my mouth shut. I love coconut favours and carrot cakes and fruit cakes. The typical thing is, I'm not even a massive fan of sponge cake. It's just because its there....

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 1:25am
post #27 of 29

I gained 50 pounds in the first few months of learning caking. I didn't gain weight when I started catering! This took me by surprise. It took so long to take it back off. I have had it off and have kept it off for 5 years now. Never again!

That's how I keep from eating the scraps.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:56am
post #28 of 29

I put the carved off scraps in the freezer and then make TRIFLE (box of instant pudding, can of cherries, cake bits and whipped cream (the real stuff). I take trifle to a lot of events, if I'm not taking cake. Or I give away bags of cake bits - people actually appreciate them....
It's easy to mindlessly eat cake, even if you don't reallly want it. So have a freezer bag ready and put the scraps in as you cut them off, then they go right into the freezer. Not saying I don't sneak in there sometimes, but I bake a lot of healthier sweet stuff (choc chip zuchinni loaf etc) cause I know I need to eat something sweet! Then it's there if I need a choc hit. I too am a WW lifer and have kept my weight pretty consistent for over 10 yrs. through 2 babies and lots of cake making...

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:18am
post #29 of 29

After doing soooo many cakes i'm just not that interested in eating it anymore lol. I will usually eat some if I am attending the event the cake is going to, but as far as the scraps go...mine usually go on a plate and i throw them out after a few days. Sometimes I take the plate to church on Wed. nights and everyone eats on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%