Very Picky Bride-To-Be

Decorating By JessicakesBakes Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 1:41pm by Mom_of_one

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 14

I am a non-professional, purely-because-I love it baker.

We have a girl at work who is getting married this summer. We always throw a little shower here in the office. We have lunch brought in an usually pick up a cake from the local bakery. This time the office manager has asked me is I would make the cake. Of course I said yes! Any excuse to bake!

Here's my problem - this bride is very picky and hyper-critical. I am pretty comfortable that I can make a pretty cake, but I am stuck on flavors. My when in doubt go-to is WASC with Lemon curd and vanilla cream. But guess what she doesn't like?? So the lemon is out.

This does not need to be a really unique flavor combo, but a really good one. Can some of you please suggest a really good, popular flavor combo? Oh - and it's a surprise, so I can't just ask her...

Thank you!!! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 14

I would go simple, maybe chocolate ganache filling...if she's like that then make it easy on your self and go simple.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 14

when in doubt, stick with the basics. if they were buying from teh bakery, what flavor would she be getting? Plain white? Okey dokey then!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 14

Skip the lemon filling and just fill with bc.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 14

bc would definately work. Don't stress out about it.

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 14

Does she have a regular "drink" at the office? Is she a coffee or tea kind of person? Maybe do a mocha one or a vanilla chai if she drinks either of those.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 14

Ok she doesn't like the lemon filling. Have you thought of raspberry filling - and pair it w/choco b'cream - NOW you have a taste that is right up there on the top! icon_smile.gif

Another idea: butter pecan with apricot filling. Easy to make by adding 1/3 cup finely chopped/ground pecans to my *original* WASC vanilla cake along with a dash of butter flavoring in the batter. Or use Betty Crocker's butter pecan mix icon_smile.gif Filling: a good quality apricot jam OR the sleeved filling.
What are some of the other office people's favorite flavors/idea/suggestions?

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 14

I'm a total newbie, but this is what I did with my daughter's cake last week: I made the WASC cake, but used french vanilla coffee creamer/buttermilk mixture in stead of water. Then added a raspberry and BC filling. It was very, very good and moist!

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 14

You can't go wrong with Indydebi's suggestion. Plain white with buttercream icing and filling would be exactly what I'd do.

gigiofknb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiofknb Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:11am
post #10 of 14

The filling I have the most compliments on is 1 small jar of strawberry jelly mixed with 1 small box of strawberry jello and spread between white cake. Very simple and very tasty. I have also done raspberry jello/jelly with chocolate cake.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #11 of 14

Mmm... I agree with the jam/jello filling. I've used it is a couple of cakes now and it's gotten rave reviews. It's the only fruit filling I actually like, I'm a little picky myself. You can mix it with a little buttercream and presto- fruit truffle filling!

Mom_of_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_of_one Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiofknb

The filling I have the most compliments on is 1 small jar of strawberry jelly mixed with 1 small box of strawberry jello and spread between white cake. Very simple and very tasty. I have also done raspberry jello/jelly with chocolate cake.

This sounds very interesting. Just to clarify...you prepare the jello first, yes?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_of_one

Quote:

This sounds very interesting. Just to clarify...you prepare the jello first, yes?

Nope, just add the dry Jello to Polaner All-Fruit:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-85661-previous.html&sid=83a2b365dd79f9075052ae915333288e
(Scroll down to my 2nd post for link to recipe on WhatsCookingAmerica.)

HTH

Mom_of_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_of_one Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:41pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_of_one

Quote:

Nope, just add the dry Jello to Polaner All-Fruit:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-85661-previous.html&sid=83a2b365dd79f9075052ae915333288e
(Scroll down to my 2nd post for link to recipe on WhatsCookingAmerica.)

HTH

Thanks...I will!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%