What Kind Of Buttercream Do I Use?

Baking By sweetdreams1989 Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 2:16pm by kakeladi

sweetdreams1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams1989 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:24am
post #1 of 6

O have a cake due this weekend and the client would like all buttercream rosettes on the cake ive seen a couple cakes on here like that that is where i got the idea .but i know someone had suggested you cant use italian bc because it is to soft and might not hold up so my question is what other bc can i use?

5 replies
Mo-Mo73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mo-Mo73 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:33am
post #2 of 6

a regular butter cream with shortening and butter combined will do the trick...there are plenty of recipes that also use water instead of milk or cream so there wont be any issues about refridgeration..good luck...=)

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

I second the regular BC it crusts very nicely, & if you don't want to refrigerate it use water & vegetable shortening instead of milk & butter

HTH

sweetdreams1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams1989 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 6

the only thing is the filling is whip icing so it will need to refridgerate

Mo-Mo73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mo-Mo73 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 6

if youre not worried about refridgerating, still use a regular BC recipe...good for crusting, decorating, and holding up in warm temps....=)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 6

Here's a great recipe for what you want to do:

2 of everything

2 cups butter
2 cups Crisco
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring - see note at end of directions
2 pinches salt

Cream butter and Crisco well - up to 10 minutes until very fluffy. Add about 1/4th of the sugar and the salt; cream until well incorporated. Repeat by adding another 1/4th of the sugar at a time until it is all added. Beat (using the slowest possible speed on mixer) for 10 minutes.
This icing does NOT crust.
If you want a crusting icing use only 1 cup of either the butter OR the Crisco with the rest of the ingredients the same.
Flavoring is very personal. It can be whatever you like - just be sure to use the full amount. A combination of most any 3 flavors makes for a very complex taste that most people will love. Most people don't add enough flavoring which results in a greasy tasting icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%