Crusting Vs. Non Crusting Buttercrem

Baking By MrsMoe07 Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 2:49am by MrsMoe07

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #1 of 9

I recently start baking so I'm still learning a lot. Thank you CC!!

I've been watch a lot of youtube and tutorials on here and see that people are sometimes using a paper towel to smooth out their BC. I tried this the past weekend with parchment paper after putting my cake in the freezer for about 10 minutes, but icing came off on the paper. Maybe I was pressing down on the cake harder than I realized, but how do I do if my BC is crusting or not? I'm using Wilton's recipe. If not what is the difference between the two?

Would there be a time when I would NOT want a crusting BC or is it totally personal preference? What are the perks of using either?

8 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:19am
post #3 of 9

Thanks, but is Wilton's recipe a crusting or non?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #4 of 9

I'm assuming the recipe is powdered sugar and shortening/butter? So yes, it is crusting. If you are only waiting 10 minutes after icing your cake, that is not long enough to crust. I don't use this type, but I think it takes 30 minutes or more to firm up.

Jen

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:39am
post #5 of 9

I use an all butter buttercream and it usually takes about 15-20 min to crust. I don't put it in the freezer so I'm not sure how that affects the crusting. You want to use very light pressure with kind of a circular motion to smooth it out, you don't need too much pressure. Kind of like a light buffing motion I guess. And make sure you switch to a new piece of parchement paper or paper towel as soon as it sticks even the slightest bit. HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:43am
post #6 of 9

The wilton recipe is a crusting recipe. It will crust, but it won't crust if you put it in the freezer or fridge (well it will but it will take a lot longer) When you take it out of the cold and it comes to room temp it will get soft from the temperature change (and damp/wet) so you can't use the parchment paper on it.

Just let your cake sit out for 10-30 minutes to crust (it will all depend on your temperature and humidity in your room on how long it takes)

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #7 of 9

I have alot better luck with viva paper towel method. I usually only wait 10 minutes for the buttercream to crust using the paper towel. The buttercream did come off when I tried using just paper. It works great with the paper towel, if the frosting sticks, just wait a bit longer. If its crusting buttercream there is no need to put it in the freezer, just let it sit, it will crust. If the paper towel sticks, get a new piece, it sometimes start sticking if you use the same sheet too much.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:00am
post #8 of 9

I used the Wilton recipe when I first started out too. It is a crusting buttercream and it crusts pretty quickly from what I remember. I never put my cakes in the fridge for the reason Leily mentioned if I'm going to use the Viva method to smooth the icing.

MrsMoe07 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #9 of 9

Thanks. I'll be sure to pick up a roll of Viva paper towels and try it this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%