Eggless, Milk-Free Cake???

Baking By iamjodee Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 12:05pm by bonniebakes

iamjodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamjodee Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know if there IS such a thing.
A customer's daughter is allergic to BOTH.

Any suggestions???

Help!!!!

5 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 6

look up vegan cakes. I've had chocolate and cant taste the difference. look up baby cakes book. they have vegan recipes or google it

FamilyCakes1626 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FamilyCakes1626 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 6

I have a chocolate water cake recipe I've used for years. It's easy and delicious.

3/4 cup oil
2 cups sugar

Mix in stand mixer.

Blend dry ingredients:
3 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture and combine.

Add in:
2 T vinegar
2 cups water
1 t vanilla

Mix well. Pour in prepared pan. Make at 325 for 38 minutes for a 9 x 13. I can't remember my times for layered cakes. I start checking them at 20 minutes or so.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 6

You can also make a delicious chocolate buttercream cake using Earth Balance Butter and soy or almond milk.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:18am
post #5 of 6

Absolutely there is such a thing! Chocolate Depression cake has neither and tastes really good and you can make variations on it leaving out the coca and subbing in a little flour and adding orange/lemon juice for part or all of the water. I'd recommend putting in some rind too because when I made the orange version and used pureed oranges (less the orange rind) there was virtually no taste of orange from it, although it did taste good. When I made the lemon version I used half lemon juice half water and the rind of a lemon and it was really nice (filled with lemon curd but chances are you can't get an egg free curd)

Also not cake as such but here are some egg and dairy free brownies that are sooo good. (I'm not vegan or anything but happily eat these!) It's a recipe a friend gave me so I'm not sure where it originated from. The measurements are Uk I'm afraid.

Vegan Brownie Recipe:
250g self raising flour
400g caster sugar
65g cocoa powder (unsweetened)
3g baking powder
6g salt
235ml water
235ml vegetable oil
5ml vanilla extract
cherries (optional)

Preheat oven to 175 degC
Large bowl, stir flour, sugar, cocoa together,
Pour water oil and vanilla etc in, stir
Bake for 25-30mins until top no longer shiney - Enjoy!!!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 6

I've used many vegan recipes, but I've also used dairy replacements for those that can't tolerate dairy. There is a great substitute sour cream (toffuti brand) and I use either soy or rice milk in place of regular milk. Comes out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%