Timeline For Wedding Cake, Please Help!

Decorating By BlueberryMuffin Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 5:51pm by BlueberryMuffin

BlueberryMuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueberryMuffin Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:54am
post #1 of 5

So I am making my first ever wedding cake for a good friend and I have a couple of questions on timing.

The wedding is this Friday and the bride has requested a 4 tiered square cake with 12x12, 10x10, 8x8, 6x6 tieres all 6 inches tall. I've never made a cake that size and am freaking out!

I'm making all the gum paste flowers for it tomorrow morning (monday) and baking the cakes on tuesday. Is that to far in advance?

Also, can I frost the cake, cover it in fondex fondant, stack it and place it in the fridge? I'm scared I wont have the time to cover it, stack it and glue all the flowers on with royal Icing on Friday morning.
Please help, any and all advice is really really appreciated! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 5

If this were my order, I would:

do the gp work now
bake on Wednesday
fill/crumbcoat/cover on Thursday
Final touches on Friday

I probably would stack on site and not refrigerate.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 5

I would do the gp work 6-10 days in advance depending on how labor intensive they are.

I bake on Tuesday. Then fill and crumb coat on Wednesday and refrigerate (I refrigerate absolutely EVERYTHING it helps keep it sturdy for the fondant and also helps in transport). Then cover in fondant on Thursday and decorate...then deliver on Friday. The cake stays in the fridge any time you are not working on it.

Have fun!

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 5

If I have a cake for Saturday I bake and freeze a week ahead. Thaw and fill cakes on Thursday. Cover on Friday. Decorate with final touches on Saturday.

If I have any gumpaste decorations to make I also make them a week ahead

BlueberryMuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueberryMuffin Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much everyone for the quick response! I've been working on my GP flowers all morning and have about half of them done icon_biggrin.gif
I'm baking the cake tomorrow (tuesday), crumb coating/filling on wednesday, covering and stacking on Thursday evening.

Kitagrl, can I put the covered and stacked cake back in the fridge or will the fondant sweat when I take it out on friday morning? I've heard horror stories of that happening icon_eek.gif I'm using fondex virgin white fondant.
It would be great if I could finish it on Thursday evening and then just glue the flowers on with royal icing on friday morning and add border/bows where needed...it's my best friends wedding so I have to be on site all dressed up and ready on Friday afternoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%