Please Help...how To Charge For Banquet Halls?

Business By rosita6882 Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 2:18pm by rosita6882

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:34am
post #1 of 6

So I have a banquet hall who wants to take me on to include my cakes in their packages. Problem is, I don't know how much to discount the cake? My shop has only been open for about 8 weeks and I'm still having to figure these things out. For those of you who work with caters how do you charge?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

5 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #2 of 6

Who says you have to discount? Your price is your price. I think if they want to mark it up, that's their decision, but if you sell wholesale to themyou'll probably need to have a different license for being a wholesaler.

rosita6882 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:06am
post #3 of 6

Is it really considered wholesale? I'm struggling since I'm still in my first months. I really need the business if I want to stay open. I work my ass off 13 hours a day and I barely make enough to pay all my bills. I really need the business since I'm barely in city limits. Mi one knows where we are. I really want to be able to make enough to start paying myself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 6:23am
post #4 of 6

My first thought is "why do you think you have to discount them?"

After that .....

How will the cake orders be handled? Will the venue promise everything before seeing if it can be done? Will they charge appropriately for add-ons? Will they just refer the brides to you for you to handle the order taking part? Will you give them a selection of 3 to 5 standard cakes that they will tell a bride "Pick one ..... your cost is $xx.xx."? Are they going to save you any work at all? (No tastings, no dealing with brides, just a fax with the order and a check in the mail?) Or will you still be doing tastings, dealing with brides (and their MOMS! icon_eek.gif ). If you deal with the bride direct, can you quote the bride or will you relay the price to the venue who will upcharge for their package, collect the money and pay you? Or will the bride pay you direct?

The devil's in the details!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 6

A friend of mine had her rception at a banquet hall that included cake in their package. They gave her the names of the tree bakeries they deal with and told her she had a $300 credit toward her cake. She was able to add more money on if she chose a design that was more than $300, but she stuck with that amount. She went for tastings and decided on the baker that had the best tasting, but not the prettiest, cakes.

As indydebi mentioned, you probably need to get some more info from the venue to help you decide. Good luck!

rosita6882 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the info. I will be taking a binder with "pick and choose" cakes...although, the credit thing sounds better. I will definatly be speaking with the owner to work out the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%