Fillings And Refrigeration

Decorating By sandy99 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 1:00pm by shari3boys

sandy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy99 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 16

please i need help to understand which of the fillings are needing refrigeration,
i know that chocolate mousse filling need refrigeration and that buttercream wont.
what about cream cheese or bavarian or truffle, whipped cream and many others.
is there any general rule?
thanks and sorry for my english icon_redface.gif

15 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 16

The one I am sure about is cream cheese . It should be refridgerated , I would imagine anything with whipped cream needs to be also

sandy99 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:08am
post #3 of 16

thank you.
anyone else for the rest pleaseee...

sandy99 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 16

heeeeelp

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:28am
post #5 of 16

Anything with eggs in it (custards and pastry creams, I mean - not breads) needs to be refrigerated, and so do dairy products like milk, soft cheeses, cream and yogurt.

sandy99 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:55am
post #6 of 16

thank you so much
what about ganache?
it has cream in.need refrigeration?

Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 16

Actually, ganache doesn't need to be refrigerated unless you're going to keep it for a few weeks, although I have no idea why. If you need it in the two or three days after you make it, there's no problem. The thing about ganache is that if you refrigerate it, it gets very hard and you have to let it come to room temp before you can use it, which can be a problem, because it takes a while.

sandy99 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 16

ok.
so a red velvet cake with creamcheese filling and buttercream frosting need to be refrigitated.right?

Marianna46 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 16

I'd say it does because of the cream cheese frosting, not because of anything else.

sandy99 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 16

so when at the cake shows use red velvet and not refrigerate them they use buttercream for filling or we dont see it in refrigeration?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Anything with eggs in it (custards and pastry creams, I mean - not breads) needs to be refrigerated, and so do dairy products like milk, soft cheeses, cream and yogurt.

...ditto what she said. (Hi Marianna46!) All product made with dairy or eggs must be refrigerated.They're called hazardous baked goods.

Marianna46 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:15am
post #12 of 16

Hi, MimiFix! You probably don't see the refrigeration on cake shows. They have to collapse a lot of stuff into an hour or half-hour show, and they're not really interested in showing everyone all the details, not even the important ones, necessarily. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of reality in so-called "reality" shows!

sandy99 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:21am
post #13 of 16

thank you thumbs_up.gif

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:58am
post #14 of 16

Can a cake with mousse filling be left on the counter overnight. I want to fill the cake the night before but I cant refrigerate the cake because of space.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:40pm
post #15 of 16

It depends on how you made the mousse. If you used Rich's or Bettercreme it's *probably* OK left out. The issue is food safety. We can't tell you how to eliminate your liability if someone gets sick, other than to make fillings that don't require refrigeration.

For me, I will not use a filling/frosting that has to be refrigerated. I can not guarantee how the customer might temperature abuse the product and then try to make it all my fault. By being smart with my recipes, I eliminate the risk.

shari3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari3boys Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:00pm
post #16 of 16

Leah-
Do you have any filling recipes on here that you share?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%