Swirl With A Round Tip???

Baking By stevieleannescupcakes Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 2:28pm by stevieleannescupcakes

stevieleannescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stevieleannescupcakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 15

Hello there! Please, please please could somebody tell me the technique of the swirl in the middle of this photo, it seems so simple but yet I just cant get it.

http://www.momblognetwork.com/cooking-food/its-all-tip

What angle do I hold the bag?

I would love to do my next batch of cupcakes like this!

Stevie-Leanne icon_smile.gif

14 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 15

Are you using regulars or minis? The cupcakes in the picture have to be minis.

I'd hold the tip straight up to get that effect. Make sure your tip is large enough for the size cupcake you need.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 15

why do you think they have to be mini's? those tips are actually humongous!

Do you mean to scale with the tips, or with the actually technique.

Im sure you can do it on regualr

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 15

I don't think they are mini's and the tip would be a 1A. Hold the bag straight up and it almost looks like they did the swirl in two parts. One bottom swirl then just like a dollop on top of it. This could be wrong but that is kind of what it looks like but I would hold the bag straight and try a few different techniques I have a few pictures in my photos that uses this tip.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 15

I was judging by the size of the tips compared to the cupcakes.

Maybe they're not minis.

stevieleannescupcakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you so much for the replies icon_smile.gif

I wasnt aware that they could be minis when i looked at the picture. I was under the impression they were standard size cupcakes. However the nozzles do look rather large.

I have a 1A nozzle, so to do this do I start from one side of the cupcake and go round in a circle holding the bag upright and then add a little bit on top?

I have just also watched a video with a higher swirl and they swirled it round in a circle like a usual 1M tip, this is the technique I find very tricky! It it very difficult to master a very neat swirl like this icon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 15

i think the cupcakes are minis. lol. the tips are listed on the side of the picture. it says that the tip used was a 1A or you could use a 2A. i would hold the bag straight up and leave a little bit where you can lay it down onto the cake, instead of having the tip right on the cake surface.

stevieleannescupcakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 15

I have noticed it is a 1A nozzle icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your advise. I will make sure to leave enough room so it falls on to the cake icon_smile.gif

LaFleur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaFleur Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 15

I would hold the bag straight up and down, but I wouldn't swirl it. Try placing the tip in the middle of the cupcake top, about one half inch from the cake. With a good amount of pressure squeeze out the icing. Because the tip is so close to the cake, the icin will spread out over it. Lift the tip off. Once you do the bottom layer of icing, use the same technique to place a small layer on top of that, being careful not to squeeze too hard, since you just need a small dollop on top, and you don't want to ruin the layer below.

I'm not sure if this will work, but that is how I would attempt to get that look.

LaFleur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaFleur Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 15

I also think the consistency of the icing is important. Don't use stiff buttercream. If you use buttercream, let it soften. I made some lemon meringue cupcakes this weekend, and I used this technique with the white marshmallow-ey icing. I only did one layer, but it spread out beautifully.

stevieleannescupcakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 15

Oh thank your for your advise, I will give that a try too!

I think I may have failed in the past due to concistancy of icing, it didnt spread to much so I think it might have been too stiff! icon_redface.gif

Iluvtreats2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iluvtreats2 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:32am
post #12 of 15

The tips that they used are on the pic next to the cupcakes.........

stevieleannescupcakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 7:31am
post #13 of 15

I know which tip to use, Im just after a technique icon_smile.gif

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:08pm
post #14 of 15

That tip is not a 1A. It's a giant round tip--the picture is a standard sized cupcake:

http://www.bakeitpretty.com/products/Giant-Round-Pastry-Tip.html

I agree with Lafleur. It's not really a swirl, but more of a 2 step piped technique. Pipe a pillow of icing by keeping the tip in the icing while it builds up. Release the pressure on the bag & pull up. Start a second dollop of icing on top of the first, but pull up as you release the pressure to create the little peak.

I have this tip and I've done this particular technique. hth icon_smile.gif

stevieleannescupcakes Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you very much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%