All Butter Buttercream For Wedding Cake

Decorating By poojadixit Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm by louanne

poojadixit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poojadixit Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,I'm new here as a member but have been using this website for my learning experience.I have a question about buttercream,I'm about to embark upon making my first wedding cake and I wanted to use my favorite buttercream recipe that calls for only butter.I have noticed that people tend to use crisco or a combination of crisco/butter for their buttercream.
Can you guys tell me in your experience what are the pros and cons of using only butter?
I hate the taste of shortening and think most people do too.

8 replies
icingcarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingcarol Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by poojadixit

Hi,I'm new here as a member but have been using this website for my learning experience.I have a question about buttercream,I'm about to embark upon making my first wedding cake and I wanted to use my favorite buttercream recipe that calls for only butter.I have noticed that people tend to use crisco or a combination of crisco/butter for their buttercream.
Can you guys tell me in your experience what are the pros and cons of using only butter?
I hate the taste of shortening and think most people do too.

Hi I am British so don't do buttercream cakes, but have done Birthday cakes. Have you tried flavourings in your Buttercream, just a thought

Quote:
Quote:

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 9

I don't think you would have a taste problem with using a combination, and adding an almond flavoring........ I think the kind of icing that you are thinking of is ALL shortening...... it is cheaper to make, and many grocery outlets use it, but it coats my mouth, and I HATE it......

decoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decoratingfool Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 9

All butter buttercreams will melt and get softer faster, i use Indydebi's buttercream on here and it is so good all shortening but without the greasy taste.. HTHs!!!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 9

I think it is very different if you use hi ratio shortening (instead of a supermarket brand) and you make a 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter icing. I think that there are some pros to this, including ease of use, not needing to be refrigerated, and ability to greater withstand humidity. JMHO.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 9

When not using IMBC, I use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening in my buttercream. Many decorators here do. IMHO it gives me the best of both worlds; the shortening adds some stability and the butter makes it more flavorful and creamy. Personally, I don't like all shortening but you'd be surprised at how many people do icon_smile.gif.

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 9

I also use 1/2 butter and 1/2 sweetex for my buttercream. It tastes delicious and holds up well in heat and humidity. It also pipes beautifully. Also, I substitute sweetex for 1/4 of the butter in my Swiss Meringue Buttercream on humid days.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 9

We ONLY use all-butter BC on our cakes, and yes it's harder to work with, but it is possible. However, we have yet to make one that needs to sit out in the sun, you'd probably need to use 1/2 and 1/2 for that.

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 9

i too only use real butter, i refuse to use shortening or artificial butter flavorings as most recipes call for, i tell all my customers this upfront, i have not had any issues with mine, it's a little more difficult when doing a lot of piping just because icing gets soft but a couple minutes in the fridge fixes it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%