Please Help....fondant/gumpaste Ruffle Cascade

Lounge By cakelady2266 Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 5:35am by CWR41

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:05am
post #1 of 4

I posted this earlier in the how to forum but I haven't gotten any response so I'm begging here. I need to know how to make the ruffle cascade on this cake. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1349278.

I'm putting this on a 4 tier round 6, 9, 12 and 16 buttercream iced cake. The cake won't be assemble until on site. I need to know how to make the ruffles. Are they made in advance? Do they need to dry slightly or do they need to be fresh and flexible?

I've searched for tutorials but I haven't had any luck. If you know where to find information on how this is done I would greatly appreciate any help.

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 4:09am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

The cake won't be assemble until on site. I need to know how to make the ruffles. Are they made in advance? Do they need to dry slightly or do they need to be fresh and flexible?

I don't believe the ruffles are made in advance, nor do they need to dry. They need to be flexible enough to conform to the ledges on each tier.

IMO, it would be easier to apply before delivery on a fully assembled cake to be certain you made enough ruffles to achieve the desired look. (Better than finding out on site that you didn't have, make, or bring enough.)

Since you aren't assembling the cake before delivery, you could roll your strips and store in a container to prevent them from drying out before needed. To plan ahead for how long you'll need to make the strips, you might try making similar folds with satin ribbon on dummies or cake pans.

(I wouldn't call these pleats, just loose random folds of thin fondant ribbons.) Good luck!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 4:58am
post #3 of 4

Thanks CWR41. I have racked my brain trying to figure this out. Do you think a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix would be best to keep it more flexible and cut down on the risk or tearing?

I would love to assemble it before delivery but the distance to the site is about 45 minutes or so and it's an outside venue where we can't park close or use a cart (gravel and dirt). I don't think we could tote it assembled that far and then they have a homemade stand of some sort I haven't seen yet it has to go on. I sense a train wreck in the making.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 5:35am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

Do you think a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix would be best to keep it more flexible and cut down on the risk or tearing?

I think it would be best... especially if you're wanting to roll it really thin. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%