Gluten, Egg, Milk, And Butter Free?

Baking By agouti Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 7:13pm by TexasSugar

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to find any tasty recipe for a cake that will be gluten, egg, milk, and butter free for someone with multiple food allergies. It seems like all the recipes I find may be free of one or two of these ingredients, but not all. Does anyone have either suggestions or a recipe that I could use? I really appreciate any help! Thank you!!!

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:24am
post #3 of 6

I don't know what is in Betty Crocker gluten free recipes, but if they are egg and milk free, maybe you could use one of those with some apple sauce included instead of egg and milk.

Haute_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Haute_Mama Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #4 of 6

For egg allergies or vegan diets, replace eggs with ENER G Egg replacer, or you can just substitute each egg with 1 tablespoon of vinegar (apple cider vinegar is good or a household white vinegar) and mix that with 1 teaspoon of baking soda before adding it to your recipe.
Any milk can be substituted with soy milk. Butter can be substituted with oil as long as you add some sort of ingredient that emulsifies the oil, like swapping some of the sugar out with agave, honey, molasses or syrup or adding nuts.
I have an awesome website that helped me learn how to substitute and convert recipes for certain diet restrictions.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

and this was my first gluten free and vegan recipe, and is still to this day my favorite!

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/04/orange-creme-cupcakes-vegan-and-gluten.html

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 6

thanks for the links! they look really helpful. i think i've undertaken a huge task, cuz i really want to make a delicious cake that will be enjoyed by all (as in the people who regularly eat cake), not only the allergic birthday boy who almost never gets cake. appreciate the help!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 6

I just did a Gluten Free/Dairy free bownie for my friend's son. I started off trying a cake recipe, but I couldn't get it to turn out right. I have complete respect for those that bake with food allergies. It took me 4 tries before I found something I felt okay about giving him.

Thankfully my friend bought the flours and other gluten free/dairy free things for me to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%