Vegetable Shortening Brand... Not Crisco

Baking By MamaNenascakes Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 9:20pm by JanH

MamaNenascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaNenascakes Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 16

I just followed a high rated buttercream recipe that I found here, the consistency was great; but the taste of the crisco is so disgusting eeww.....

I just DO NOT like the crisco taste in buttercream...

Can someone recomend a brand of shortening that taste good?

Thank you

15 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 16

I don't like Crisco either. I have better luck with Spectrum. It is transfat free, vegan and not made with soybean oil.

I think that the real culprit is I do not like soybean oil, not necessarily just Crisco. I have tried other shortenings made with soybean and I can't get past the smell, so now I just use Spectrum.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 16

Linda, thanks for sharing that! I'm planning on transitioning to vegan and this sounds like a wonderful product!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 16

I like b/c made with hi ratio shortening (Sweetex). icon_smile.gif

(And its more cost effective to use a hi ratio recipe since less hi ratio is required than AP shortening.)

HTH

LindaF144a Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:53am
post #5 of 16

Sweetex has transfat in it. It is also made from soybean oil. When I tested it I found it had the same smell as Crisco. When I used it, the smell quickly went away. But knowing that it has transfat and made with soybean oil, I just couldn't bring myself to use it.

Interesting at you say you need less. I have a frosting recipe that comes out light, too light to get a smooth look. The recipe calls for hi- ratio and I use spectrum. This just confirms what I was thinking, that the frosting would be thicker if I used more shortening.

JanH Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:10am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Sweetex has transfat in it. It is also made from soybean oil. When I tested it I found it had the same smell as Crisco. When I used it, the smell quickly went away. But knowing that it has transfat and made with soybean oil, I just couldn't bring myself to use it.

SweetexZ is trans fat free. icon_smile.gif

http://www.stratasfoods.com/docs/pdf/SweetexZSheet.pdf

HTH

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:24am
post #7 of 16

I use a smbc as my standard bc. But when I have to do an american bc I always use sweetex high ratio shortening. It makes my bc nice and smooth and not greasy!!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #8 of 16

Another vote for Spectrum products! thumbs_up.gif

Jen

LindaF144a Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:54am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

SweetexZ is trans fat free. icon_smile.gif

http://www.stratasfoods.com/docs/pdf/SweetexZSheet.pdf

HTH

I was going to mention this brand, but could not remember where I saw this. Thanks for the link.

But is it still made with soybean oil?

MamaNenascakes Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks everyone for the answers, I have not seen any of those shortening ever, but I'll order both and stick to the one I like the most. This was BIG HELP

LindaF144a Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNenascakes

Thanks everyone for the answers, I have not seen any of those shortening ever, but I'll order both and stick to the one I like the most. This was BIG HELP

Spectrum can be bought in your local grocery store, especially in CA. Check in Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or any organic section of your grocery store. Also in the organic section is another brand that has the word "jungle" in it I believe. But I like Spectrum better.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 16

Has anyone tried coconut oil instead of shortening? There are several types available and depending on the press, have no coconut flavor whatsoever and you are supposed to be able to sub 1>1 shortening or butter with it. I keep meaning to give this a try but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jen

LindaF144a Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 16

I haven't tried it yet either. I was getting this confused with cocoa butter. I am going to try it some day, it would be great for vegan recipes. But I have not been able to get to it yet.

Let me know if you do.

MamaNenascakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 16

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 16

I've used Spectrum, but it made for a very, very soft icing. Perhaps that could be overcome with a recipe adjustment, but I just couldn't get a satisfactory consistency. Now I use Sweetex...not completely happy with the transfats, but I've heard Sweetex Z doesn't give the same results. icon_sad.gif

JanH Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 9:20pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:

But is it still made with soybean oil?

Palm oil, mono and diglycerides

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/transfat/english/shorteninglist.pdf

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%