Just Starting Out Making Cakes - Pricing??

Decorating By amcakemaker2011 Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 12:24am by JanH

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:03am
post #1 of 8

I have been making cakes for a while but not really beautiful cakes. I am just starting out so i was wanting to know how much i should charge for labor of ALL cakes that i make. When i say all cakes i mean all of them including 2 and 3-tier wedding cakes?

Thanks
amber

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:33am
post #2 of 8

When pricing cakes, you'll want to look at the ingredient costs + labor costs (how much time it will take to bake and decorate the cake * a reasonable hourly wage, $10-30/hr depending on location and skill) + your overhead costs on a per-cake basis (insurance, licensing fees, utilities, inspection fees, etc.). Then add 20-30% for your profit margin.

amcakemaker2011 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

When pricing cakes, you'll want to look at the ingredient costs + labor costs (how much time it will take to bake and decorate the cake * a reasonable hourly wage, $10-30/hr depending on location and skill) + your overhead costs on a per-cake basis (insurance, licensing fees, utilities, inspection fees, etc.). Then add 20-30% for your profit margin.

I won't be turning it into an actual business for a quite a while from now like i said i am just starting out making fancy cakes. So i could charge about $10 an hr and be okay .. thanks for your help

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 8

You'll also want to make sure you are operating within the law in your state...some states allow you to sell cakes made from home, but others require a separate commercial kitchen. Liability insurance is also a must as long as you are charging for food products.

amcakemaker2011 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

You'll also want to make sure you are operating within the law in your state...some states allow you to sell cakes made from home, but others require a separate commercial kitchen. Liability insurance is also a must as long as you are charging for food products.

When it becomes my business i will be renting out my church's kitchen to make them because you do have to have another kitchen when it is a business. But for now they will be out of my kitchen for practice

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 8

So you start 2 threads and ask the same question. Guess what, if you charge for something, you are operating a business. Paying yourself a wage is operating a business. How are your reading comprehension skills?

You are proposing breaking the law. We legal businesses don't like that. It's your own problem if you think that's rude.

We legal business don't take kindly to new people asking the same question with poorly written different words looking for an answer they like then calling US rude for taking the time to answer.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:16am
post #7 of 8

PS - sending me a PM threatening me to "take it to the next level" because you didn't like my answer is really immature.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:24am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%