Do You Charge The Same For Birthday Cakes As Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By Sandylee05 Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 12:11am by Sandylee05

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 13

I have an order for a fondant covered, two tiered stacked birthday cake with four sculptured animal figures, and an array of several inserted gumpaste stars on wires (?). I have not done many fondant cakes and I don't know how to charge. I know some of you will say $8 per serving because you can charge for your expertise and you're established, but I can't charge that much. My basic wedding cakes are around $2. per serving. How much more should I charge for fondant cakes? How much for gumpaste figures? Do you charge the same for BD cakes as you do wedding cakes?

I really appreciate some advice. What should I use for "wires"? I don't want to stick toxic lead wires in the cake.

Thank you so much!

12 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 13

No I almost always charge more for birthday cakes, especially for a cake like you're describing. Fondant figures are time consuming. Most birthday cakes require more work than a typical wedding cake because birthday cakes are ususally more colorful and busy, meaning more work. Don't sell yourself short. If you can do a wedding cake, you can do a birthday cake, so charge for how much work is involved and make sure to place a dollar value on the time it will take to complete all the details of the cake. Good luck!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 13

$2 a serving for a wedding cake! Your crazy!
When I do a bunch of figures I usually figure about $15 per figure on top of the cake price.

SweetCakesbyAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 13

SandyLee05 I also charge $2 per serving for a wedding cake. Im still learning and therefore my prices are fairly on the low side (but i do not undercut the market in my area which ranges from $2-$4 per serving) I have been charging $4 per serving for fondant cakes-but that just for a cake in fondant. If they want animals and stars and all that i add that to the order separtly. It helps them from getting too crazy and helps them understand my time is valuable. HTH and good luck on the cake

Sandylee05 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 13

I really value all of your input. Yeah, sometimes I wonder if it's worth my time. The thing is that in my area, $2. is the going rate for average wedding cakes. The best decorator in the area, has a large store in the big town -50 miles from me. She offers classes , sells supplies, enters all the cake shows, and has a huge cake business. She only gets $2.50 serving for wedding cakes and $3.50 for fondant, and she has to pay employees and rent!

It sounds like most of you charge about the same for your wedding cakes or birthday cakes. It makes sense to me to charge more for the colors, extra handiwork, and designs. You're right, some BD cakes are a lot more time consuming than wedding cakes!

I hope someday I will be established enough to charge a better price.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 13

I charge more for a wedding cake but that because I factor in delivery, set up and equipment rental. If they wanted to pick it up, I would just charge a party cake price. That being said, I would definatly add an addtional charge for figures and such. I just had an enquiry were they wanted a 4 tier animal print birthday cake, with animals, trees and a river. I quoted them $180.00 for that, and they said "Oh, I was only looking to spend 90.00" I adjusted the design to fit their budget, but never heard back from them. I've learned the hard way that I would rather not get the order, then make less than minumum wage. And a cake like that would cost at least $75.00 to make.

Sandylee05 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 13

Sweetcakesbyamy wrote: >>If they want animals and stars and all that i add that to the order separtly. It helps them from getting too crazy and helps them understand my time is valuable. HTH and good luck on the cake<<<

I like what you said here. It seems that the better price I gave them - the crazier the orders got. LOL! I should be careful. Maybe they're reading my posts.

SweetCakesbyAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks! I have learned to have a "Base" price. I wll tell them the cake size that you are requesting starts out at $XX.XX. Additional work maybe extra. It makes them think what is really important. That way i can offer a "cheap" cake and not feel as though I have been had.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 13

Unless I missed it, your question about what to use instead of wires hasn't been addressed. You can use lollipop sticks or skewers. They both work great and you can choose based on color if it fits better with the design. The skewers cost much less to use. I can buy 100 in Shop Rite for $1.99.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 13

I don't think floral wire is made from lead. And Duff has some already curled wire for sale in Michaels for cakes and cupcakes. Don't think they'd be selling 'toxic' wire. I still would put them in those little beverage straws to give more height and more stability.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 13

I make way more on bday cakes.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 13

You can also dip your wires in chocolate, let it dry and then stick in the cake.

Sandylee05 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 12:11am
post #13 of 13

Are the little beverage straws coffee stirrers? Where would I find the bev. straws?

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%