How To Get Extra Black Fondant / Gumpaste?

Decorating By Bunda Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 8:06am by Bunda

Bunda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunda Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:42am
post #1 of 9

I've been using lots of extra black gel colouring for around 100 grams of fondant, but I still couldn't get the colour right. instead of black, it was dark grey.
How can I get deep black colour? Please help >.< icon_cry.gif

thx

8 replies
lakish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakish Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:54am
post #2 of 9

iam using the true mmf recipe from this site. its really a life saver. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

Bunda Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:36am
post #3 of 9

Thanks Lakish, will try that recipe next time I'm making cakes icon_smile.gif

vaneramz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vaneramz Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:52am
post #4 of 9

I use the black wilton icing color and works great. You won't get a deep black right away. The trick is to add the black, once you have a deep grey wrap the fondant with plastic wrap and put it inside a container and leave it over night. The next day I have a deep black. It also works for red.

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:21am
post #5 of 9

If flavor isn't a concern, I recommend starting with a chocolate fondant (or icing when you need black BC). Also, I've found that if you let it sit for awhile, it will darken up.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #6 of 9

I also use chocolate fondant, but if I'm in a pinch, I'll color regular fondant brown, let it sit and get really deep dark brown, and then add black and it comes out super black.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 2:42am
post #7 of 9
ezkate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ezkate Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:49am
post #8 of 9

when i need a large amount of black, i always cheat and buy it already made black, it saves on time and saves the amount of colour you use when trying to get black and saves your hands from all that needing and also my icing always gets overworked as i have hot hands and i need to let it rest well or add some icing sugar to it otherwise it is too soft
when i am using small amounts i use both gel black and powdered black colouring as the powdered form is highly concentrated, also you could try colouring the icing dark brown first and then add your mountain load of black!
good luck

Bunda Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:06am
post #9 of 9

I use extra black from sugar flair and dust it with cocoa powder instead of icing sugar.
And yes, I just noticed that the colour will be better (darker) the next day.
Anyway, thanks for all the informations icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%