How To Create The Quilted Look For A Wedding Cake

Decorating By brandibaker Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 10:41pm by brandibaker

brandibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandibaker Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:43am
post #1 of 8

I am doing a wedding cake for a friend and she likes the quilted look. What is the best way to achieve this?
Thank You!

7 replies
cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:57am
post #2 of 8

I am so happy to be able to answer this because I just learned it and did it myself. icon_biggrin.gif You use an impressioin matt (earlenes 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch diamond matt) imprint the cake then use a tool (i have the wilton fondant tool that has three attachments) and you run the tool over the lines to create the quilt ldotted look. I researched online until I found out how to do it and it worked wonderful. thumbs_up.gif

SweetCakesbyAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 8

I dont own the erlene mats but i have seen them in action and they are so cool!

A couple of years ago a friend of mine did this same cake and this is how she did it:

she took a piece of ribbon and layed it over the cake sot he lines were uniformed etc. and took the fondant tool that has the smooth side and LIGHTLY marked the cake. Once she "outlined" the cake and liked the look of the diamond pattern she went back over it with the dotted line piece! its alot of more work-but back when she did it earlene didnt have her awesome mats! LOL HTH and Hope you can get a impression mat!

angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:29am
post #4 of 8

I used the impression mat that I bought from Sharons website. It was pretty easy to use as well, you can see the latest picture in my photos.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 11:11am
post #5 of 8

I made a tutorial here for doing it without an impression mat. I like this way because you are not limited by the size diamonds/squares of the mat or tool. You can make your quilted diamonds/squares any size you want, from tiny to huge. I like having the result determined by my feelings on what will work, not on the limits of the tool.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-679490-.html&sid=8215ead2a14a1e1defa041126fb1ccba

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 11:21am
post #6 of 8
CakemummyCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemummyCC Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:45am
post #7 of 8

I have followed artscallion's tutorial as I don't have an impression mat and it has worked well. Good luck.

brandibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandibaker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 8

thank you everyone! I ended up using a tool from wilton icon_smile.gif it turned out ok. I will try and post pictures soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%