Q About Bc

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 10:17pm by tamdan

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:02am
post #1 of 13

i have learned so much from youg guys and i really appreciate it! i just switched from margerine/butter to real butter and it makes a world of difference!

new q though, i am getting my bc waaaay smoother and firmer than before but it still has those little pock marks in it. i confess i don't sift my suger. is that why?

also i have heard about over mixing. i have a kitchen aid but imo if doesn't do that great a job of mixing everything. should i use the white paddle instead of the wisk? will that make a difference? any help would be great. hanks so much!

12 replies
Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:06am
post #2 of 13

Yes, use the paddle. Sifting your sugar helps but isn't necessary and likely isn't your problem. Try mixing it on a lower speed as well.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:27am
post #3 of 13

I have a KA, and I put my wet ingredients in first, so the powdered sugar doesn't stick to the bottom. also like previously said, mix on a low speed so it doesn't get full of air. I usually sift my powdered sugar as well. HTH.

yamber82 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 13

so i can put all the wet ing in there first?

also the paper towel thing doesn't seem to do anything for me?

Mfattore Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:31am
post #5 of 13

The viva towel only works on crusting recipes. Does your crust up well?

yamber82 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:34am
post #6 of 13

it gets really firm? i just used 1/2c butter, 1/2 shortening and a t merignue powder, 1 t vanilla 2 T milk and the sugar. i am not that experienced with bc. before i would use the imperial brand margerine sticks and it was always way too soft and messy. totally different using real butter. it gets really super firm but i dunno exactly if that is "crusting".

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #7 of 13

Besides using the paddle, you need to make a batch that's large enough to cover the top of the paddle so that you aren't incorporating air into it.

Mfattore Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:19am
post #8 of 13

Crustin buttercream sets up and forms a dryish crust on the outside. Frost your cake, wait 15-20 minutes at room temp. If the frosting still comes off on your paper towel, it isn't crusting.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

so i can put all the wet ing in there first?

also the paper towel thing doesn't seem to do anything for me?

Yes, I do this so you don't get that 'clump' of dry ingredients at the bottom of your mixer you then have to scoop out. I will also put a dry towel over my mixer while mixing so i don't get powdered sugar everywhere.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Besides using the paddle, you need to make a batch that's large enough to cover the top of the paddle so that you aren't incorporating air into it.

This is good info....My bc was stiff but still a little too fluffy.

Thanks!!

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:20am
post #11 of 13

I'm having the same issues with the air pockets and I'm sooo frustrated!! The never ending problems with bc UGG!! I even switched to high ratio shortening because I thought that would make a difference, but as far as the air pockets go...not! It does make for a smoother texture though. Still if it isn't going to help, I don't know why I'd bother icon_sad.gif I did watch a video today by sugarshack on making bc. I think what CWR41 said has some validity. I guess that's what I'll try next time. Hope to find a solution and concur my bc blues! :'(

yamber82 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 13

would using a hand mixer be better?

tamdan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamdan Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 13

I continue to struggle with air pockets in my buttercream. I have found that if I take a spatula and run it through the frosting, it helps smooth out some air bubbles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%