How Do I Make An Edible Coral/reef?

Baking By bnmusician Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 8:24pm by Crazboutcakes

bnmusician Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnmusician Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 12:10am
post #1 of 11

I saw something on tv tonight. A cake decorator made an edible coral reef for an ocean themed cake out of confections sugar and egg whites and put it on the microwave. I was wondering if anyone knows what the ratio of confections sugar is to the egg whites?? And how long to you microwave it for?

10 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 11

I cant answer your question directly, but I know you can use isomalt to do the same thing

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 11

I saw that show on TV the other night. They said it was pastillage they were putting in the microwave. I believe there are recipes for pastillage on this site.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 11

You can also make it out of candy melts or chocolate, or isomalt. Melt it and pour it over crushed ice. The ice will cool it quickly and the candy will mold around the ice itself.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 11

is isomalt edible?

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 11

Yes. It's another form of sugar. I believe it has a higher alcohol content.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:33am
post #7 of 11

is there a video or blog tutorial for making pastillage?

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:43am
post #8 of 11

Here's a thread with brief instructions for microwaved royal icing coral:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-647093-previous.html&sid=4adf30a4a3b199ca165b855d9dbe62b3

I've done it and it works great.

Sarahdee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahdee2007 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 11

I saw a tutorial where someone used dried out grape stems. They just colored buttercream icing and went over it several times, until the stem was not showing anymore and it was the desired thickness. It looked really easy!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 11

in Kerry Vincents bok she has a procedure for doing it. It was ri that you pour sugar syrup on. Let cool and break. I did it before and it worked great. I took skewers and dipped in gel color and poked the ri in several places. I did so with multiple colors. Pink, purple, periwinkle orange, flesh, peach Just to varigate the ri. I then used dusted to further add color. HTH

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdee2007

I saw a tutorial where someone used dried out grape stems. They just colored buttercream icing and went over it several times, until the stem was not showing anymore and it was the desired thickness. It looked really easy!

I also saww this technique using melted chocolate and the stems were dipped into the chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%