How Do I Keep My Fondant From Tearing.

Decorating By mitzi229 Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 2:24pm by mitzi229

mitzi229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitzi229 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 6

I use Satin Ice fondant and I love it but when I add color and roll it out lay it on the cake, here and there I see it is shredding a little.Not alot but if you look close you see it. I try not to roll it too thin and even lift it on the roller .

5 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 6

Have been hearing a lot of bad press around Satin Ice from the ladies in my cake club. Can you change to another brand or make your own marshmallow fondant? It's so easy and so economical.

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 6

It could be your brand of fondant . They are differnt here in Ireland , but I recently saved myself some money by changing to a different one . I dont like it at all , it cracks really easily . Changing back asap icon_smile.gif

mitzi229 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 6

I was using wilton brand fondant, most people didnt like it. I would see the cake eaten but they would leave all the fondant. Switched to satin ice and everyone loves it including myself. The only thing I can think of is maybe when I add certain colors I add too much. I make my cake from scratch and all the fillings but dont think I have the patience to make my own fondant> lol maybe one day.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzi229

I was using wilton brand fondant, most people didnt like it. I would see the cake eaten but they would leave all the fondant. Switched to and everyone loves it including myself. The only thing I can think of is maybe when I add certain colors I add too much. I make my cake from scratch and all the fillings but dont think I have the patience to make my own fondant> lol maybe one day.

Yeah its too soft... or most likely you over worked it. I use SI and have started buying smaller buckets of the premixed colors and mix those to get shades i want... i rarely use gel colors anymore.. and have a lot less problems with over mixing and being too soft.

mitzi229 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 6

True, I bought the small bucket of the black color because to color black is a nightmare. It was so much easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%