Getting "legal" In Kentucky

Business By SweetCakesbyAmy Updated 18 Jul 2018 , 4:48am by TheCakeMomMO

SweetCakesbyAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 7

Ok so i have been reading all the posts I can on here and im even more stressed now than when I started. Does anyone know if you can get a license to bake and sell cakes out of you house in KY. I do not have a seperate kitchen-but I do have a seperate fridge, storage area and counter space.

Do I just need to request a license--how much to those average? What is this going to cost me to be legal so I can sell a few cakes for profit....is it even worth it...........

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 7

I have a license for my home kitchen.
The laws tightened after I got mine.
All I can say is that KY is "tricky."

You have got to read, read, read and be prepared to argue, argue, argue.

SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 7

something tells me i will be illegal for a long time. Its just not worth it. I like making cake but I cant afford to shell out that kinda "dough" for a hobby. sigh! thumbs_up.gif Thanks for all the info Leah_s

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 7

HomeBasedBaking is no longer allowed in the state of Kentucky unless you are selling at a state sponsored farmers market.

There are three ways to become a vendor at a local farmers market in the state of Kentucky.

1. Obtain a home-based processor registration if you meet the qualifications noted under HB 391 food processing bill.
2. If you do not grow the primary ingredient, you can process this product under a commercial food manufacturing permit. You will need to contact your local health department about obtaining a retail sales permit to sell this product at the market.
3. Buy already processed product from a permitted commercial source. Again you will need to contact your local health department about obtaining a retail sales permit to sell this product at the market.

Direct your questions to Shadrick Adams with the Department for Public Health/Food Safety Branch for a packet of information. Contact Shadrick Adams at 502-564-7181 ext 3853 or by e-mail [email protected]

Any questions about labels should be referred to Annhall Norris at the Food Safety Branch (502) 564-7181 ext. 3683

I can forward via email a brochure for making and selling foods in KY.

SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 7

no thanks homebasedbaking. I inly sell cakes to a few people ever now and then. (like 1-2 every 2 months) I guess im just going to go back to hobby baking....dont wanna risk getting in trouble either!

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 7

I understand completely...just wanted to pass the information on. Happy Baking!

TheCakeMomMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeMomMO Posted 18 Jul 2018 , 4:48am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%