Need To Pick Your Brains...

Decorating By theonlynameleft Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm by kger

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:36am
post #1 of 12

Did my first frozen buttercream transfer the other day. Made sure I popped the transfer in the freezer for a while after doing the black outline to give it time to firm up before I did more but the black outline beld colouring into the red (spiderman). What did I do wrong? I really love the look of this technique so would love to be able to master it so any advice would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif Thanks everybody

11 replies
ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:54am
post #2 of 12

What food coloring brand are you using?

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:55am
post #3 of 12

I cant remember .... but I can not tell a lie, it was a cheap one!

VeronicaLuis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeronicaLuis Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:57am
post #4 of 12

I use Americolor and I have never had any trouble with colours bleeding with any of my FBCT's.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:57am
post #5 of 12

If left in the freezer too long after it's completed the black will bleed on to other colors....ask me how I know icon_smile.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:59am
post #6 of 12

I use Americolors also and have yet to experience ANY color bleeding. Even on white icing. They were pricey at first but I realized (quickly) they are worth every penny and pay for themselves. The colors are vibrant, true, and you don't need a lot to achieve your desired color.

tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:02am
post #7 of 12

Americolor is what I used and IT DID BLEED.

VeronicaLuis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeronicaLuis Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:04am
post #8 of 12

I have done a FBCT and left it in the freezer for 2 days, I did the picture and once it was frozen hard I wrapped it well and put it in tupperware container and simply took it out when the cake was ready. I can't see how it would bleed by leaving it in the freezer too long.

tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 12

Try 2 weeks icon_smile.gif Doesn't matter if you can see it happening or not it did.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:25am
post #10 of 12

the Wilton black in the tube is perfect for FBCT and no bleeding!

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 8:03am
post #11 of 12

Forget adding all that black coloring!! I buy the cheap store brand darkest chocolate frosting in a tub (like Betty Crocker) from the grocery store and add just a bit of black. It'll be easier to mix if you microwave it for 15 seconds. Don't worry if you melt it too much, just let it sit for a few minutes and it'll harden up again. You don't need much to make black since it's already a dark brown.

But please buy the cheaper store brand. It has more fat than the name brands which makes it freeze harder. I use this for outlining and filling any black areas in the picture and it has never run or bled. I used a lot of black in my Sour Patch Kids candy box cake and no problems at all! HTH!

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

Forget adding all that black coloring!! I buy the cheap store brand darkest chocolate frosting in a tub (like Betty Crocker) from the grocery store and add just a bit of black.

That's exactly what I do! I usually do that for all my black outline/detail frosting needs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%