British Sponge Cake

Decorating By Crissielyn Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 2:32pm by June_m

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hello all,

I may be doing a wedding cake for a local British restraurant. They have requested a three tiered sponge cake. I have a decent recipe for sponge cake, but just wondering what kind of icing would typically go with it? Also, would this type of cake/icing hold up under fondant?

If anyone has an amazing sponge cake recipe, wouldnt mind hearing about that too. icon_smile.gif

Much thanks.

2 replies
jove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jove Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 3

The British people I know call the cake you are referring to "Victoria sponge" and I usually has strawberry or raspberry jam in between the layers. Good luck!

June_m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
June_m Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 3

Depending on the cake it's either Victoria sponge or madiera cake which is heavier, both are usually filled with jam and buttercream, the cake is then covered in sugarpaste (fondant) x

Quote by @%username% on %date%