Dowel Support For Tall Cakes?

Decorating By sweetbrantleys Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 2:24am by bcarb

sweetbrantleys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbrantleys Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 6

I have seen it suggested in many books to put a center cake board if a cake is going to be taller than 4 inches. My question is, how do you dowel this cake if it's going to be stacked? Do you use cut dowels under the cake board and then more on top of the cake board? if so, does it matter if the dowels under the board aren't aligned with the second set of dowels? does that make sense? any suggestions are recommended.

do you explain to the client that there is a center cakeboard before they go to serve it? do you calculate your servings as double since there is a cake board dividing the layers?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 6

You do it just like you'd do any other stacked cake assembly.

Just this time you do it with cakes that are the same diameter and you put the support in before you ice the outside.

Other than that, no difference at all.

sweetbrantleys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbrantleys Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 6

thank you for your response.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 6

I try to let people know when there are inner supports in a cake. I don't want them to be 'surprised', about their food.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:49am
post #5 of 6

sweetbrantleys, I came on here this morning to ask the very same thing!

Thank you so much for this info Leah!

I have a 6-7" tall cake to do at the end of the month and was wondering how to go about it structurally.

Awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I love this site, I'm TOTALLY addicted to Cake Central!!!!

Cheers!

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:24am
post #6 of 6

Somewhere I read that you also put one dowel all the way through the entire cake if the cake is tall and to be transported. The dowel was sharp, so that it could go through the cardboard layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%