Smbc Experts Needed!

Baking By texastj Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm by KoryAK

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

I have slightly runny SMBC. Could I add more butter to it to thicken it up even after flavoring and freezing it? TIA

4 replies
rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 5

What temperature is it where you are right now. I find that SMBC is very finicky when it come to temperature. If it is too hot it can get runny and soft, too cold it curdles and seperates. Was it the right constisincy when you first made it? If the constincy was okay when you first made it then it will just need the right temperature and more beating. I usually can change the temperature by cold or hot cloths around the bowl or a bowl of ice or hot water below the mixer if you have a professional Kitchen Aid. I hope that helps.

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 5

Thanx Rowingmom for all the info! I added too much Bailey's Irish cream. Even after 8 tbsp it still wasn't strong enough. Lol. When I tried piping it, I could see very small beads of liquid sitting on top of the frosting. Anyhoo, I stuck it in the freezer to use later on then I wondered if I could add more butter. I know i can add more SMBC to it to thicken but just wanted to know if I could add more butter instead.

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 5

I think what is giving you the problem is the amount of alcohol. Too much wants to seperate out. I don't know about the butter I would suggest next time using some of the lorann oils there is a Keoke Coffee Flavor that is supposed to be like Kalua and you would only need a little bit to get a stronger flavor. You can order them online. I hope this helps.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 5

Try whipping it some more. it sounds like the alcohol is not emulsified in well enough. I don't know how much SMBC you added that 8T to, but I can add a LOT of liquid to mine without adverse effects.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%