Help Me Break Down This Cake!!! Please!!!!!

Decorating By baker2699 Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 11:55pm by andrealynmoore

baker2699 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker2699 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 16

Well....

I have a bride that is dead set on this cake and I cant find the original creator or any other views of it.. I think it may be one of the Disney Dream Weddings and I checked there website...

Do you think this is fondant covered?? Also my bf and I have been having a debate over certain aspects of the cake he thinks the bottom layers' ribbon is made of fondant.. I think it is a satin ribbon.. (He also wants me to disclose that he doesn't do cakes..think he is worried? lol) I am just not sure what the bulb looking things are at the top.. Originally I was wondering if they were something behind the cake but the more I look at it I think it is a part of it but I dont know...

Any and all help appreciated

icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 16

Can't see a pic??

baker2699 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 16

Sorry.. It wont load

Theres a link

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 16

It looks like it's all fondant to me, even the ribbons on the bottom. The top looks like fondant balls on wires.

Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 16

I think the cake is covered in fondant. Also wonder if the balls are also fondant with lustre dust or something like that. I'm sure someone will be along with a more in depth answer...
Not sure about the ribbon but, at first glance, I'd say satin.

baker2699 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 16

I guess it could be fondant balls.. haha
What do you suppose the wire is? Floral?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 16

Well, I think the cake is most likely covered in fondant. The "wire" can be found at Michaels. Duff has a set of these wires for about 20.00 for a package of 6 I think. Now, the bottom ribbon. It COULD be satin, however, I've seen fondant painted to look like this. However, given the complexity of the cake I would say it's fondant.

Good Luck!

joyfullysweet Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 16

When I use wire for cake, I use the wire you can find with the jewelry making supplies at the craft store. It comes in many different thicknesses and colors too! Floral wire may be too flimsy. Make sure though you aren't sticking them directly in the cake. I usually use straws in the cake and then insert the wires in those.

I still really think the stripes are fondant, maybe with some luster or something to make it shine. I can't imagine someone doing a whole cake in fondant and then laying satin ribbon vertically on the bottom tier. I've seen it wrapped as a border, but never in that way.

baker2699 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 16

Straws? How does that work?

joyfullysweet Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 16

Just take thin straws or coffee stirrers and put them in the cake where you want the wire to go. Then put the wires into the straws so that they aren't touching the inside of the cake.

baker2699 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 16

Oh.. I gotcha I was thinking like an average size straw

hockeymomnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymomnh Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 16

I think the cake is all fondant too.

As for the wires, I use a little royal icing on the end of my straws to seal the bottom before I insert them into the cake.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 16

Could the balls be Malteasers or other appropriately shaped chocolate covered sweets (I'm not sure from the photo if they are percisely spherical?) dipped in luster dust?

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:47pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker2699

Well....

I have a bride that is dead set on this cake and I cant find the original creator or any other views of it.. I think it may be one of the Disney Dream Weddings and I checked there website...

Do you think this is fondant covered?? Also my bf and I have been having a debate over certain aspects of the cake he thinks the bottom layers' ribbon is made of fondant.. I think it is a satin ribbon.. (He also wants me to disclose that he doesn't do cakes..think he is worried? lol) I am just not sure what the bulb looking things are at the top.. Originally I was wondering if they were something behind the cake but the more I look at it I think it is a part of it but I dont know...

Any and all help appreciated

icon_biggrin.gif

All of that is fondant icing. It is way to smooth for it not to be fondant. If it was all buttercream it would not be that smooth at all.

andrealynmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrealynmoore Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:55pm
post #16 of 16

The dark fondant might have been steamed before being added to the cake - that could account for the shine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%