Why Do People Freak Out?

Decorating By KarolynAndrea Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 5:40am by scp1127

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:06am
post #31 of 36

The best part I find is that the happy clients will refer others to me, so I don't need to spend all that much time pushing my line, the satisfied customers do it for me! I mean, its all there on my website, but word-of-mouth advertising is better than any other. When it comes to buying a special occasion cake, you will find that many people who are prepared to spend up to $200 for a cake from an unknown entity (who likes to keep their methods and ingredient lists a secret), they will be more than happy to spend $250 or more for a cake that is made from scratch using premium ingredients and baked to order from an artisan baker who is passionate about their product.

Where I live I am fortunate that this style of baking and service is appreciated, and clients are willing to pay extra for the added quality and value. I say this not to diss other cake decorators who are baking in a way other than scratch, I'm simply saying it suits my principles, and it suits the way I want to bake and do business.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:27pm
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

The best part I find is that the happy clients will refer others to me, so I don't need to spend all that much time pushing my line, the satisfied customers do it for me! I mean, its all there on my website, but word-of-mouth advertising is better than any other. When it comes to buying a special occasion cake, you will find that many people who are prepared to spend up to $200 for a cake from an unknown entity (who likes to keep their methods and ingredient lists a secret), they will be more than happy to spend $250 or more for a cake that is made from scratch using premium ingredients and baked to order from an artisan baker who is passionate about their product.

Where I live I am fortunate that this style of baking and service is appreciated, and clients are willing to pay extra for the added quality and value. I say this not to diss other cake decorators who are baking in a way other than scratch, I'm simply saying it suits my principles, and it suits the way I want to bake and do business.

I like your philosophy thumbs_up.gif

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:12am
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I agree Evoir. There are bakers such as you and me, that are going to educate the customer, deliver at optimum time for best taste, and strive to optimize the baked good for the customer. With more and more boutique type businesses opening daily, I believe you are going to see this factor of freshness becoming more important to the consumer. Study the internet to see what is out there as far as business structure. When a baker has many wedding cakes to produce for one weekend, a short time line may not be feasable. But that doesn't stop the next baker from structuring a shortened time line. I am an artisan baker who does not emphasize wedding cakes. I am getting more and more inquiries for wedding cakes based on my baking philosophy.

Oh brother. icon_lol.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:50am
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

JulieMN, I do my fondant decorations a few days ahead and store them. As far as baking, I don't ever have issues with that. I have five ovens and three KA mixers (commercial bakery), so an equipment problem is out. I make sure my fondant is pliable and colors are ok (I only use Fondarific/Duff's). Bases covered... ready to go at the last possible time.

I look forward to the day when we all see some of your *last minute* creations -
It puzzles me as to how your cakes can have time to settle - after torting and filling if everything is done at the last minute.

I just finished emailing a bride who's father was a professional cake baker/decorator. She knows my cakes are scratch and that is why they chose me. I asked for the exact time of pickup (the father is transporting out of town) as I am anal about freshness. This way her family could enjoy the cake for several days after the wedding. She wrote back, "There is nothing better in life than an anal cake artist!". This is a selling point for me.

You are aware of course that there are some cakes that are best suited to be made 2- 3 days ahead of time for the flavour to mature and intensify? - aren't you?
Brandied Fruit cakes should be made at least 3 Months in advance - for this very reason.
Mud cakes are another type of cake that shouldn't be whipped up at the last minute...

My *baking philosophy* is - respect and *know* the cake mix you are usiing and you will deliver a fine tasting cake.

Bluehue

Wedding cakes are not my primary buiness and my web site states that. But I am getting more and more calls for them. My regular 8" and 9" homestyle cakes are very expensive. The fact that my customers have an opportunity to enjoy the cake for the longest possible time is one more asset that builds value for the product.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:23am
post #35 of 36

Obviously, if it's going to take many hours to decorate a cake even after the cake has been levelled/filled/iced & crusted/ganached & set up (as applicable), and fondant has gone on, then the cake itself cannot be baked the same day. And yes, as has been pointed out there are cake recipes that improve after a few days, so for them to be served at their best they MUST be made in advance.

I'm quite sure that if I tried to bake, ganache, fondant and decorate a cake all on the day then the result would be nothing to be proud of. If others can do it and honestly say that the cake produced was their best work, then good on them.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:40am
post #36 of 36

Bluehue, I doubt I will have a request for a brandied fruitcake, so I am sure you are right about that. My cakes do settle, but not for days, for hours. No, my cakes do not bulge. You have never seen a post about a cake disaster from me. I have never had one. Probably because I have studied this issue to death on this site and elsewhere, and take all precautions.

I am well aware that certain cakes meld flavors at different points. I deliver when the melding starts. That way, the client gets the full enjoyment of the cake. If I choose to sell my cakes this way, I'm sorry. I have no intention of changing such a valuable selling tool. I don't want to argue, I'm just saying this is what I do. I know that people have leftover cake, and I want that cake to have value for as long as possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%