Fondant Loopy Bow For A 12X12 Cake

Decorating By EliteLady Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm by KimAZ

EliteLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EliteLady Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Everyone!

This will be my first time making a loopy fondant bow and I will be putting it on top of a 12x12 cake. The cake will resemble a present. How long do I cut my strips? Do I cut them 12 inches long and 1.5 inches wide? Can someone please give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Elitelady

3 replies
BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 4

If you go up to the search above, there is a good article on making loopy bows with pictures and directions.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 4

If you want your finished bow to be approx 6" round, you will cut your strips about 6" long so that you will end up with a finished loop around 3" in length. You will need to make a variety of lengths. You'll find as you are building your bow the higher layers of loops will need to be shorter in length.

The width of the loop depends on the look you are going for. I usually make mine about 3/4" wide and then I put an edging around each loop which makes the finshed width about 1".

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 4

I always make all the loops the same size: 6" long each, so folded in half they are 3" loops. I make 20 loops for a nice full bow. They are about 3/4-1" wide.

When they get assembled, I like to alternate the loops so they don't all lay flat on top of each other. I glue them together with white chocolate which drys fast and holds them perfectly.

A fun look for a party cake is to make the loops in different colors. And yet another is to add gum paste baby's breath between loops for a more girly look.

Hope that helps!
KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%