Why Is It Such A Big Deal To Used Canned Frosting?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 12:24am by LoveMeSomeCake615

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 55

It just seems SO much easier to buy canned frosting when doing cakes. I'm just a hobbyist. I don't sell my cakes. I'm also very new at this.

Why is it considered such a no-no to use canned frosting for filler and for the crumb coating under fondant?

54 replies
Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 55

This is just my opinion but home-made frosting tastes so much better than canned frosting. When I taste canned frosting, I can tell immediately that it is from a can. Also, there are some designs that just do not work out well because of the texture and consistency of canned frosting. Maybe someone else can tell you in greater detail what the difference is.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 55

Because it slides, Once you make a real butter cream, you will totally see the difference. With canned icing you will never get that nice finish.

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 55

Homemade tastes so much better . For me its the only choice

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 55

I wouldn't say it's a NO-NO but canned frosting never crusts so you can't do a "true" crumb coat and fondant will look lumpy with it underneath. I'd say as a filling it would be fine. Buttercream is SO much better in taste, appearance and texture. And let me tell you, if you have a kitchenaid mixer, it's a breeze to make. I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper than canned frosting as well. Give the real stuff a try, you'll never pick up a can again icon_smile.gif

pat304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat304 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 55

Of course you can use whatever you want - nothing is a "no no". That being said, I personally cannot stand the taste of canned frosting (my kids say it tastes like 'medicine').

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjones

I wouldn't say it's a NO-NO but canned frosting never crusts so you can't do a "true" crumb coat and fondant will look lumpy with it underneath.

No really true anymore. I recently made a cake for the sake of just eating. I used a can of frosting (can't remember which brand) and when I went to eat some later, it DID crust!

Saying that, I still have to say homemade is WAY better because of it's thickness/stiffness...it won't slide around and it does make for a nicer finish. Plus, it tastes amazing!

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to use the canned version if that's your preference, it just isn't for many decorators.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 55

Nothing is a no-no if it's what you like. I think canned icing tastes horrible. That is to say, every brand that I've TRIED tastes horrible. It's pasty and I don't like it at all. But, if it's something you in fact like, go for it. Do what works for you and to heck with everyone else. icon_wink.gif It is true though that the consistency is different. I would not be a happy camper if I had to use canned icing and wanted the cake to look smooth, etc.

sugarjones Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 55

[quote="cakefairy03"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjones

I wouldn't say it's a NO-NO but canned frosting never crusts so you can't do a "true" crumb coat and fondant will look lumpy with it underneath.

No really true anymore. I recently made a cake for the sake of just eating. I used a can of frosting (can't remember which brand) and when I went to eat some later, it DID crust!

Wow! I'm surprised! Guess that tells you how long it's been since I've had canned frosting icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 55

Do you remember when a CC'r was asked to use canned frosting as a request from a customer?? That thread went on for miles...lol

I think that using canned frosting won't hurt a beginner but getting use to making real BC will lessen the fear factor and make a better impression on those around you.

Nothing says "bake more" like applause!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 55

I've used canned frosting when I'm in a pinch. Since it's usually too thin to properly frost with I will usually thicken it up with powdered sugar.
Now I do however use canned chocolate frosting and peanut butter to make a lovely tasting peanut butter ganache. I use one can of milk chocolate frosting and at least 1 C of peanut butter. Dump both of them into a 2 quart saucepan on medium heat and stir until the peanut butter is well blended. Once it's all mixed together you must work quickly before it sets up. It tastes soo yummy!

laura4795 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Because it slides, Once you make a real butter cream, you will totally see the difference. With canned icing you will never get that nice finish.

A few people have mentioned the nice finish. What does that mean? Does fondant look different when you use one or the other? I have used both on my cakes. I wish I could remember which I've done with canned, so I could have you look at them.

laura4795 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:50pm
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

I think that using canned frosting won't hurt a beginner but getting use to making real BC will lessen the fear factor and make a better impression on those around you.

As long as I'm asking newbie questions: Is frosting the same thing as buttercream? Are the terms interchangeable?

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 55

I discovered canned frosting a couple of years ago and although I don't use it to decorate or ice the outside of a cake, it works well as a filler and also for decorating quick cupcakes! And I have people tell me all the time how much they like the frosting!!!!! Easier than making homemade when in a hurry icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 55

I personally LOVE canned frosting - especially chocolate. I have used canned frosting as a filler a time or two. I also like it for cupcakes in a pinch. I would not use it to ice the outside of a cake that was going to be covered in fondant. I do however prefer my homemade buttercream and my own ganache. But that peanut butter with the cannced chocolate frosting does sound mighty good!

I think this subject goes along with battle over scratch vs. box cakes.

Each to their own....enough said.

Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:20pm
post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Absolutely! thumbs_up.gif Not to sound all touchy-feely, new agey or whatever people like to jokingly call it, but if we all liked the same thing, acted the same way, etc. this would not be fun. (How much fun is it being a Stepford wife?!) But I do adore when people can respectfully and in a friendly way say they don't agree. We don't have to put someone down for their likes, and it's nice talking to a few grown-ups that know that! (And seriously, if I found a good canned icing, I wouldn't mind. I just haven't found it YET!) icon_lol.gif

SweetCakesbyAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:48pm
post #17 of 55

I have switched to homemade buttercream frosting mainly cause it is more cost efficent. One can of frosting can cost almost $2.00 per can and you need a couple of cans to icing a cake. I can make my homemade bc for about $2.00 a batch and one batch makes about 3 cans worth! I do love the taste as do my family members and occasional client, but cost wins me over every time!

sugarjones Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:54pm
post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Absolutely! thumbs_up.gif Not to sound all touchy-feely, new agey or whatever people like to jokingly call it, but if we all liked the same thing, acted the same way, etc. this would not be fun. (How much fun is it being a Stepford wife?!) But I do adore when people can respectfully and in a friendly way say they don't agree. We don't have to put someone down for their likes, and it's nice talking to a few grown-ups that know that! (And seriously, if I found a good canned icing, I wouldn't mind. I just haven't found it YET!) icon_lol.gif

I totally agree with you both!! I'm often scared to post anything on here for fear of a backlash due to a misunderstanding but I like the "tone" of this thread. Group hug icon_smile.gif

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:08pm
post #19 of 55

I've used a recipe that calls for a can of chocolate frosting mixed with a jar of Nutella for a chocolate hazelnut frosting. I've used it as a filler and it is delish!

Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:09pm
post #20 of 55

Haha!! Ok, everyone into a healing circle! icon_lol.gif Just kidding.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:09pm
post #21 of 55

I think fresh icing is the way to go, even a hobbist wants to wow her/his guests regardless and I have made many of cupcakes to bring to work for supervisors and peers alike and they have many comented on their last supervisors lunchon and tried the cup cakes from whom ever store or canned and perfered mine over them everytime. It's not a no no it's just giving friends and family alike something different that they normally would not get and it is much easier to use under fondant and complements the taste of the fondant ,..... And if I can say, this site helps people get into a comfort zone of trying something different because everything is at your finger tips with perfessionals and home bakers alike that have already been there... done that kinda of approach and give you a personal touch with home made recipes with a flare of the new stuff, But what ever you decide to do have fun caking. icon_smile.gif

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:10pm
post #22 of 55

I've used canned frosting off and on, especially for family cupcakes. I've also learned (for my family anyway) that store brands such as Safeway are less sickly sweet than the big name brands. I also use canned chocolate frosting mixed with black coloring to outlining my buttercream transfers. Its much easier to get a good black without having to use gobs of color.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 10:53pm
post #23 of 55

Cause it tastes gross. Nothing like frosting with real butter in it.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm
post #24 of 55

I think it's similar to the difference between fresh flowers and silk flowers.

I like the taste of fresh buttercream, not canned; and I love the smell of fresh flowers, not silk flowers.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:50pm
post #25 of 55

I actually love love lvoe the taste of canned frosting! Will eat it by the spoonful, BUT I refuse to decorate with it, cuz it just doesnt... work.... the same. Fine for underfondant, but not really for roses or anything liek that. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:52am
post #26 of 55

Canned frosting is the reason I got into cake decorating. I used to love to eat it, but found out in my 30's I'm allergic to the chemicals they put in it to keep it fresh.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #27 of 55

I remember when my husband and I began taking the Wilton courses. Duirng our very first class our instructor made a batch of bc and was explaining the differences between thinned, medium and stiff consistency and ...la la la la...... I kinda tuned out. I leaned over to my husband and made some sort of comment like, how will she know if I'm still using canned, why go to the work of making the bc.... Yeah ok. So now the instructor is done making her bc and I ask if we can taste it. Ok, NOW I knew why I was going to be making bc from that night on. The taste was just so incredible, especially having it for the first time and I was hooked. I haven't had canned frosting since.

Now, having said that, if you prefer the taste of canned, there is nothing wrong with it. But I'll bet if you try the homemade, you'll be hooked like I was. And it really doesn't take much to make a batch, and of course since you have to taste it, just to be sure it's just right............ icon_lol.gif

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:59pm
post #28 of 55

I think homemade tastes better. Canned has an artifical sweetness that I don't like. I can eat homemade buttercream (which is super sweet) but not canned.

But if you like it, use it!

This is the same argument as the scratch vs cake (which I didn't mean to start!).

annie49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie49 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:41pm
post #29 of 55

I don't care for the taste of canned frosting but when my butter was rancid as I started to make it from scratch, I ran to the store and bought a can of butter cream and 1 of cream cheese in order to frost a double layer cake.  I think it helped that I used coconut on it, too but the taste wasn't too bad.  What happened to the dry frosting mixes?  At least they tasted nearly like home-made.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 8:16pm
post #30 of 55

I remember dry frosting mixes from the 1960s and 1970s, and I remember the very beginnings of canned frostings, in that same era.

Like canned frostings, and cake mixes, dry frosting mixes were intended as a foolproof labor-saving innovation, but unlike the others, they weren't really any improvement over a one-pound box of powdered sugar, and a bottle of the appropriate flavor extract: you basically had to add milk and butter either way. The only exceptions were the dry mix for BC "Fluffy White" frosting (which is still available), and various chocolate frostings (which were somewhat more trouble to make from scratch).

For my own part, if I'm making any flavor other than chocolate, I use some variation of the recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before most of us were born. For chocolate, however, since I don't eat the stuff myself, and therefore would be flying blind if I tried to make it from scratch, I get canned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%