Poured Sugar Help (Bottles And Ice Cubes)

Sugar Work By RussellsCakes Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm by RussellsCakes

RussellsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RussellsCakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 7

I've just started with pulled sugar. And like so many others on the site, my cake will be a beer bucket cake. Actually it will be a variant of the cake. It is for a birthday party for a local music venue owner and my best friend. So it will be rather large. I'm having a few trouble with my bottles.

First off, I'm getting lots of bubbles. I've read to let it sit in the oven at 275-300 degrees for 15 min to let the bubbles pull themselves out of the sugar. Is this the best remedy?

Second, my bottles are staying "tacky". Should they cure and not have any stickiness to them? If so, could this be a problem because I'm not getting the sugar to a high enough temperature?

Thank you so much for any help that you guys can provide

6 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

You are doing the correct thing by putting your sugar in the oven. I leave my oven at 300 and put my Isomalt in there to rest for about 15 minutes before I pour.

The tackiness problem COULD be a problem with temperature, or it could be a problem with the amount of water you're adding when you mix it.

RussellsCakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

You are doing the correct thing by putting your sugar in the oven. I leave my oven at 300 and put my in there to rest for about 15 minutes before I pour.

The tackiness problem COULD be a problem with temperature, or it could be a problem with the amount of water you're adding when you mix it.

I'm not adding any water. Its a sugar/glucose mix. 1/2 cup sugar to 1/2 cup light corn syrup

susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 7

Poured sugar, is that what makes it look like beer is being poured from the can into a glass of beer? I'd like to try to make a cake like that.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 7

I use 1 cup sugar to 1/2 corn syurp, and cook it in the micro. And let it set out while I put in colour and flavor... and mine are nevrer tacky....

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 7

I've never done corn syrup with sugar, only sugar and water, or more usually, isomalt and water. but that sounds like a bit too much syrup to me.

RussellsCakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 7

Its the recipe that came out of the really long sugar bottle thread. The last one I did wasn't too bad. A slight, tolerable stickiness. When I would hold it for more than about 15 seconds, it would get tacky, but not leave any residue. I will try and cut the amount of syrup and play with it. I'm on my second bottle. The air bubbles are pretty much gone, or at a tolerable amount.

Susie, no, I'm pouring sugar into a food safe silicone mold I made for bottles.

I used the left over silicone to make a mold of some bottle caps for extra effect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%