Not Making Any More Cakes Until The Dead Of Winter...

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 4:12pm by natou

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 11

So, I'm pretty much a wreck right now. I did a cake for a friend's foster child (it's probably going to be the only nice cake she's going to get as her drug addicted, homeless, and jobless real parents, who abandoned them in the first place, are probably going to get her back soon). She was turning 2, and having a princess party, and loves butterflies, so I did a princess butterfly cake...spent the past couple of days making a white chocolate tiara with pink poured sugar jewels, 30 gumpaste butterflies, held together with white chocolate...and I am right at 9 months pregnant, so it's been exhausting.

Well, told DH to get the AC going in the car, as it's been close to 90 in Atlanta lately, went down with the cake, and halfway to my friend's house, look down, and a piece of the tiara had fallen off. By the time we got to her house, the whole tiara was a pile of sugar jewels and white chocolate, butterfly bodies and wings were falling off, and I was bawling my head off.

I ran in the house, cried for a while...ended up scraping off the chocolate pile and putting a cheesy plastic tiara on top that my friend just happened to have, and everyone said how pretty the cake was, but all the work I put into it wasn't even seen.

I barely made it home before I lost it, and locked myself in the bathroom to cry for a while. I feel like crap right now...I did get pics pre-disaster but I'm so upset now...Don't think DH understands that being prego isn't exactly helping me, as he says "why are you still crying?" Sigh. I'll post pics later but this may be my last cake.

10 replies
TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 11

I'm so sorry about your tiara, frustrating after all that work! Try not to let it get you down. I'm sure you are a little more emotional than normal, during my 2nd pregnancy I swear I was either laughing so hard I almost peed or crying my eyes out!! LOL! Hang in there. You made that little girls day and your tiara falling apart is nothing compared to what that little girl is going to go through if she goes back to her loser parents.....don't sweat the small stuff.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 11

((((hugs)))) I'm so sorry you feel so awful right now...you did a great job, don't beat yourself up over it sweetie.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 11

So very sorry that this happened to you. I understand how disappointing this must have been for you, believe me, I do. Although the cake ended up differently than you had planned, that little girl had a cake that was made with a tremendous amount of love and care. That's very clear by your post. That's what made the cake special-you made it with love for her! So, just know that for now, cry as much as you need to, and when you're ready to make your next cake, you will. Don't give up on caking, though.

Kakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakie Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:07am
post #5 of 11

Count your blessings that you had the sugar paste tiara!
And since it was a gift then they would be more than happy with anything they got, if you'd have charged for it you'd have had an angry customer on your hands!
I know it's not a great compensation right now, but be glad it wasn't worse!!

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 10:47am
post #6 of 11

Big hugs! But don't make big decisions while pregnant - your hormones are almost definitely getting in the way!

Hope everything goes alright with the baby!

CP xxxx

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliPepper

Big hugs! But don't make big decisions while pregnant - your hormones are almost definitely getting in the way!

Hope everything goes alright with the baby!

CP xxxx

Ditto! Just get some rest and take care of yourself.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, everyone, for the nice words...I swear, I wasn't that emotional the whole pregnancy, and the last month of it, I can cry at the drop of a hat. I just posted pics of the cake, and although I'm not trying to fish for compliments, I would appreciate any comments since no one saw it looking like this...it was minus the tiara and a lot of the butterflies had fallen apart since they, too, were put together with white chocolate.
Anyway, you can see it at http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2005682 ... thanks for looking. icon_smile.gif

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry that happened to you. Don't feel bad- third trimester can push you to the limits. I'm sure that the little girl was thrilled with the pretty color and yummy cake that you made for her. Pray for her happiness.

In the future, would it be possible to transport chocolate pieces in a cooler and then attach when you reach your destination? I'm just a hobby baker and rarely have to deliver the gift cakes I make very far. It's hard to know if you will have the space and opportunity to assemble the cake. It also kinda spoils the "Wow" moment when you walk in with the completed cake.

Chin up, it was a kind act to make a little girl happy. Success! Or as Charlie Sheen would say, "Winning"- in your case it's a true win. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 5:35am
post #10 of 11

I'm dreading caking in the summer heat. Graduation orders are coming in and they make me cringe. I have vowed to take over someone's air conditioned kitchen this summer. Even if I don't know that person. icon_biggrin.gif

natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 11

i know how you felt. I thought i was so smart when i made mickey mouse club house head out of chocolate (my first mickey club cake) instead of styrofoam. OMG!!! what a mess !!! i was at the party in florida weather in august..... i SAW the head melting down...and ended a big chunk of black chocolate on top of the cake, i was so so shy...imagine i was THERE...what could i say to people at the party??? oh it is sooo hot!!! hello i should have figure that out before ...anyways now, when i m asked to made mickey club house, you can be sure i make the head out of stryrofoam. so see we all have a disaster at one time!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%