Nightmare Delivery Situation! (Long Vent!)

Business By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 8:40pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 2:19am
post #1 of 10

This was our first time having a situation like this in delivering a wedding cake. The ceremony and reception were at The Hyatt downtown. We were supposed to deliver at 5:30, so we pull up to the hotel about 5:15, which is great because it gives us a chance to scope out where we are going with the cake.

Well, it's a madhouse because the hotel is having about 4 other HUGE events, and everyone is arriving just as we are. I run in to find out where the vendor entrance is so that we know where to park, and the lady at the desk tells me that I can "just go through the lobby and up the elevators to the reception room." Through the LOBBY??? Of a huge hotel where hundreds of people are milling around??? Are you kidding me?

So then we drive around trying (unsuccessfully) to find a parking place somewhat close to the hotel. It took us so long that we are now late for our delivery time and freaking out. Then we get a call from the florist's assistant asking where we are (she had fresh flowers to place on the cake), because apparently someone went to the Bride to ask why the cake wasn't there yet, so now the Bride's freaking out.

We tell them that we just now found a parking place and we will be up there in a minute. So then we have to walk through the huge lobby area, up the elevator, and then all the way down to the room (which, again, takes forever, it's a massive hotel) I felt horrible for stressing the bride out.

Anyway, we got it up there, and the flowers got placed. It all worked out, but that was by far the most stressful situation we have had yet, and the most unhelpful venue EVER. Phew! We saw the groom on the way out, and apologized for being late and explained the situation.

I really hope they aren't mad. The cake still got there before the ceremony started though, and it looked beautiful, so I hope that makes up for it. Just needed to vent! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:06am
post #2 of 10

Sorry for all the stress but I am glad everything worked out. What part of Florida are from?

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:15am
post #3 of 10

Thanks, me too! I'm from Jacksonville.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:12am
post #4 of 10

When I had deliveries in downtown hotels, I didn't bother with parking spaces. I was making a delivery and parked right by the door (pulled forward so I wasn't RIGHT in front of the door .... but close enough to take care of business). I also had a sign on the back of the van that said "Caution: Wedding Cake Delivery in Progress". For the hotels that had doormen, I'd tell them "I'm parking my van right here for a few minutes while I set up this cake. I'll be back in under 15 minutes." I never had to move the van.

I'm delivering a cake. No way am I parking way out in BFE!!

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:32am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I had deliveries in downtown hotels, I didn't bother with parking spaces. I was making a delivery and parked right by the door (pulled forward so I wasn't RIGHT in front of the door .... but close enough to take care of business). I also had a sign on the back of the van that said "Caution: Wedding Cake Delivery in Progress". For the hotels that had doormen, I'd tell them "I'm parking my van right here for a few minutes while I set up this cake. I'll be back in under 15 minutes." I never had to move the van.

I'm delivering a cake. No way am I parking way out in BFE!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 10

Indydebi- Yeah, that's totally what we should have done. While my hubby was waiting for me to check things out, he was trying to wait by the front door, but the doormen kept telling him he had to move along, even though he told them he had a cake to deliver for a wedding. They were just not helpful AT ALL! Makes me wonder if they haven't had many weddings there or something?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:39am
post #7 of 10

something else you can do on future deliveries, when going to a hotel or venue that you've never been before, is to call to introduce yourself, tell them what time you plan to deliver and ask THEN about vendor entrances 'n such.

One of the downtown hotels I delivered to a few times had a special side entrance for me to use, and they explained that to me over the phone, so I knew just where to go, AND they knew when to expect me. worked out great. Those that didn't have special vendor entrances were aware that I'd be parking in front.

Regardless, I didn't park in the parking lot and unload everything.

I tried to do this intro call to every new venue and it was a win-win for all. Give that a try on your next delivery.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 5:21am
post #8 of 10
Quote:

something else you can do on future deliveries, when going to a hotel or venue that you've never been before, is to call to introduce yourself, tell them what time you plan to deliver and ask THEN about vendor entrances 'n such.

One of the downtown hotels I delivered to a few times had a special side entrance for me to use, and they explained that to me over the phone, so I knew just where to go, AND they knew when to expect me. worked out great. Those that didn't have special vendor entrances were aware that I'd be parking in front.

I tried to do this intro call to every new venue and it was a win-win for all. Give that a try on your next delivery.

Excellent tip! Thanks

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 10

There are a couple of venues in the Columbus area that you cannot park out front to deliver the cakes at. If you do choose to ignore their rules, you are not looked fondly upon. (and rightly so) I always call in advance to see which door, and which street is the one BY the door to deliver at. Saves a lot of stress for the day of! Glad it all worked out for you!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:

GREAT idea! I am definitely doing this for our next wedding! Thanks Indydebi! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%