Pasting Small Flowers On Cake...

Decorating By Alycee Updated 2 May 2011 , 5:50pm by Alycee

Alycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycee Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone!!!!

I'm making a cake covered with small fondant flowers, I was going to glue them with royal icing, but then I thought if it was a better idea to stick them with wire or toothpicks, any suggestions??? Here's a link with the picture...

Thanks!!!

http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2007/wedding/fall06/cakes/fall06_cakes2a.jpg

12 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 13

That many wires or toothpicks could ruin the structure of the cake. I'd use RI or BC.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, plus attaching wires/toothpicks etc, would be much much more time consuming that just gluing them on with a little RI . RI all the way icon_smile.gif

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 13

I'm with CWR41 on this one!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietude

I'm with CWR41 on this one!

Ditto!

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 13

I agree, use royal icing. Heaven forbid a wire or toothpick gets left in the cake unnoticed and someone gets it in their slice of cake!

Lindsram Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsram Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 13

Personally I would use gum glue. I've had issues using RI with small flowers. Some of the RI could be seen behind the small flowers and it didn't look very clean.

Terri66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri66 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:51am
post #8 of 13

Hi, I would use egg whites for your "glue". I use it for mine all the time. Not messy like RI or BC....I find BC is too slippery and the flowers "run" away down the cake side. Egg whites works great on fondant. I use a little brush and dab it on the back of the flowers and a little on the fondant...it sticks great!!!!! AND....NEVER NEVER use toothpicks! Someone is bound to eat one!! Use spaghetti sticks if you need to attach a bigger flower *(like a rose)...always 100% edible...no liabilities. Hope this helps! If you are using BC icing...no glue required.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsram

Personally I would use gum glue. I've had issues using RI with small flowers. Some of the RI could be seen behind the small flowers and it didn't look very clean.

I agree here... for really small flowers, RI can add bulk behind the flower and can possibly been seen... I would also use gum glue (you can dissolve gumpaste in water, use egg whites or use gum arabic).

I also agree with everyone saying not to use wires or toothpicks... you'd be making too many holes in the cake.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 13

I use piping gel as an adhesive and it's effective. No need for any concerns like with egg whites.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:38am
post #11 of 13

Someone posted this ages ago and I could not get along without it. Just dissolve Tylose powder in warm water until it is about the consistency of coffee syrups. You want to be able to use a paint brush to apply it to your fondant surface. This keeps forever in the fridge in a little glass jar, and glues together just about anything.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:56am
post #12 of 13

I just did this cake this past weekend...very similar to what you're doing. It had a few hundred tiny flowers on it. I dissolved a small ball of gumpaste in water to make a glue that was the thickness of maple syrup. they stuck on instantly...(no holding in place til they stick) The cake traveled two hours and not a one fell off. I've also used equal parts of meringue powder and water. I like both of these methods because you don't always want to see that dot of royal icing peeking out from behind.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1911234/1998182

Alycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycee Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks to everyone!!! I used RI and it came out perfect, but now I know some new techniques, and I'm pretty sure they'll be perfect for the future. Artscallion, that cake is amazing!!! those gumpaste babies look real!!! You should make a tutorial on gumpaste babies!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%