Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Decorating By Chantalscreativecakes Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 8:36am by Marianna46

Chantalscreativecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chantalscreativecakes Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 11

Hi there,
I'm making a cake in memory of my Uncle who recently passed. We are having a memorial and I'm to do a cake for 30-40 people. One of his favourite songs (he was very musical) was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".
Any ideas? (I was thinking 2 tiers)

Thanks!

10 replies
CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry for your loss. ♥

A rainbow layered cake, (in my profile pics) or 'tiedyed' cake. Super easy to do. icon_smile.gif

Chantalscreativecakes Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 11

I like the idea of colouring the cake; I've seen it done where its all "marbled" together in rainbow colour order. My issue with tinting is that in my vanilla cake recipe I seperate my eggs whites and whip them, then fold them in at the end.... I'm worried that mixing the colours into the batter will kill the light spongy texture that the whipped egg whites give the cake.
Any thoughts?

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 11

Add your tint, before your egg whites. icon_wink.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 11

I made a rainbow cake (it's a first birthday cake that's in my pictures) by making six very short layers and tinting each one of them a different color, then stacking them in rainbow order. Everyone was very surprised when the cake was cut. They all thought it was super-cool. I'm sorry you lost your uncle, but a memorial is a wonderful idea. It's so comforting to be able to reminisce about a person you really loved.

Chantalscreativecakes Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you for your condolences. I was pretty happy with the turnout of my cake and the family loved it. The rainbow cake turned out well too!
I've posted the cake in my photos. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 11

What a lovely cake, and a great tribute to your uncle. Did you make your rainbow out of fondant, too? I was just wondering how you got it to stand up so nicely. And you did a wonderful job on the music staff. I've always wanted to try doing that on the side of a cake, but I've been afraid I would mess it up and the thing would look awful. Your's is just beautiful.

Chantalscreativecakes Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks icon_smile.gif Yes, I was worried about the staff too! lol I dont' have a steady hand at all so its not as nice as I'd like it to be but most people don't notice the details that drive me nuts, lol. The colours of the rainbow are marshmellow fondant. First I made a stencil and cut out the shape onto Gumpaste and let that dry for a day. Then I put on each colour (on either side of the gumpaste) and let each side dry. Then dusted it with edible sparkles and lemon juice. The rainbow is actually secured with some flat wooden toothpicks and the buttercream stabilized it a bit too.
icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:30am
post #9 of 11

Very interesting technique! I'd like to try it sometime.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:24am
post #10 of 11

I don't know - I do you know you need bluebirds!

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:36am
post #11 of 11

Good one, tryingcake! I'll be sure to include them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%