First Wedding Cake - Small Wedding.. Need Advice

Decorating By mickey67 Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 9:45pm by mimi1218

mickey67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey67 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 11:11am
post #1 of 7

This will be my first wedding cake. I'm doing it for my sister and there will only be 25 guests. I really want to do a classic, three tiered cake, but I think if I use 6, 8, 10 inch pans it will be too big? Are there any smaller pans that won't be too small?

Also - Do I bake two cakes for each layer? OR - if I use 3 inch pans can I make each layer a little thicker and then torte?

Next - if I'm assembling it onsite and not moving it from the spot where I decorate it, will drinking straws (with one dowel through the middle) provide enough support?

Finally - I want to decorate it with gumpaste daisies. Where have you bought gumpaste flowers? Are they difficult to make?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

6 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 11:36am
post #2 of 7

I hope I can cover all your questions
1 no there really isn't any thing small than the 6,8,10 if you want to stack, but not sure if you took into concideration that the 6" could be there aniversary cake that still leaves you with about 62 servings.

usually it is aprox 4" cakes so yes use two layers or one 3 " and torte, Personally if you are assembling on site I would still use a good suppot system of either plastic dowels on the first two layers and if you are assebling on site than you shouldn't need a center dowel.

Flowers for (daisy's) are not difficult you can buy the color and gumpaste already made but sometime walmart carry's them pre made too in there wilton isle, it's up to you on how much rtime you want to put into it and the out come of what your looking for

below is a link of sizes and serving hope that it helps. Happy baking

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

mickey67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey67 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you Crazboutcakes! This helps. One more question - if I use 3 inch deep pans, I can fill them more than 2 inch pans, right? what is the general rule? 2/3 full? I can look it up online, just thought I'd ask.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 7

I use 3" pans because it provides me more choices when I need them. Most of the time, I just bake a 2" tier - with the amount of batter recommended for 2" tiers. Works just fine. The reason for the 2/3 full rule is so the cake doesn't overflow the pan.

abqgreene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abqgreene Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 7

If you want the look of a larger cake without the extra servings, try using a cake dummy frosted to match the upper tiers. You can get any size you need at ebay.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 7

gumpaste daisies aren't hard to make. in fact there are some excellent tutorials on you tube. just search for gumpaste daisies. if you want to buy some decent (not awesome, but decent) quality already made gumpaste daisies, i suggest discountsugarflowers dot com/detail.aspx?ID=482.

i know all kinds of people use bubble tea straws for support, and i know they work, but i really prefer to use the sps system you can get from globalsugarart dot com. it's not very expensive, and you know the supports are going in straight, and that sucker is going nowhere!

as far as the cake, i usually bake two for each tier, and torte them in half, so i end up with four layers of cake and 3 layers of filling for each tier.

since this is your first wedding cake, bake extra cakes and make extra icing for an emergency!

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 7

I have done smaller cakes that were 4", 6" and 8" tiers. you can order 4" pans online very inexpensively. If I can say anything about first time wedding cakes- allow WAY MORE time than you think you will need. My first one was a disaster (delicious and beautiful in the end) but I almost threw it off my balcony at about 12am the night before it needed to be done.

Cakes that size can definitely be stacked in advance, but I would use the plastic dowels or something stronger than straws just to be on the safe side.

Good luck; I'm sure it will be great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%