Best Fondant For The Cricut Cake??

Decorating By wharvey86 Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 3:32am by ramie7224

wharvey86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wharvey86 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:42am
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone, my fiance and I are having our aunt bake our wedding cake and she will be decorating it with a cricut cake. We were wondering what brand fondant is the best to use with the cricut cake? Taste really isn't too much of a worry as the fondant is only being used as scroll work on the side of the cake, and can easily be peeled off before consumption. We are more concerned with which fondant has the best consistency and durability for our wedding cake!!

Thanks!!

4 replies
DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 5

The Cricut is meant for gumpaste, not fondant. So the "official" answer is none. However, after reading many posts on here about it, I have found that freezing the fondant after it's rolled out on the mat works really well. I use Satin Ice, but if you freeze it, I think any brand would work. I also plan to try (but haven't yet) modeling chocolate. I suspect it would work really well -- and would taste good too! That said, if you're planning to peel the decorations off anyway, you could just use gumpaste following the machine's directions.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 5

Humm.. I hadn't heard about freezing the fondant and cutting it with the cricut that way... I will have to experiment with that!! /Thanks for the info!

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:07am
post #4 of 5

I used both satin ice and wilton fondant with my cricut. They both work very well when rolled really thin. I roll the fondant on a separate mat then transfer it to the greased cricut mat and roll some more. I find the wilton to be a little firmer and does not tear as easily when removing cuts from the mat.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:32am
post #5 of 5

I've used Wilton fondant and marshmallow fondant in mine. I usually roll mine out super thin and then stick it in the freezer as well. I then stick it back in the freezer AFTER I've made my cut- I find the shapes come off with less stretching/ tearing that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%