is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

Anyone need any help?

33 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 34

No cakes for me tonight. I'm still working on a zoning case. (My other persona.) Been reading case law this afternoon and writing.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:44am
post #3 of 34

9 views and no takers? Okay, I'll bite. icon_biggrin.gif

Case law? You gonna go all "the man" on us? lol

I'm taking a break from hand cutting 4 dozen cookies. I also still have to roll 2 dozen cake truffles tonight. I delivered an 800 serving order early this morning. My father was injured in a car accident this week so what was already a busy week quickly turned into 3 hours of sleep nights. Come Tuesday, I'm sleeping and y'all better not wake me. icon_wink.gif

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:47am
post #4 of 34

Hi Leah,

I'm just a hobby baker (hoping to be legal someday...sigh) but I'm up working on my cake for tomorrow's Wilton class- last class of the series- hooray! I'm also working on designing my mom's and brother's cakes for next weekend AS WELL AS about 75 cake pops for my family's Easter party next weekend.

Cake for tomorrow is in the oven, and I needed a break! icon_smile.gif So of course, I'm logged in here! icon_smile.gif Happy weekend to you!

leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:48am
post #5 of 34

Wowzer Cheatzie! Sorry to hear about your dad, but congrats on the orders this week.

PS I'm "representing" a historic neighborhood against "the man." Well, against a developer with deep pockets who's hired the best zoning attorney in town and who is trying to cram unwanted development down the collective throats of the neighbors.

cheatize Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #6 of 34

In that case, go get 'em! I'm a huge fan of old houses and big trees. You know, back when a 2 X 4 actually measured 2 X 4.

The accident was Tuesday and my dad is still in the hospital. Two fractures in his knee cap, 2 injured ligaments on either side of the same knee, three cracked ribs, congestive heart failure, and his nose still looks funny. I haven't been able to see him since Wednesday and I doubt I'll be able to get there this weekend. icon_sad.gif However, he was able to take 2 tiny steps assisted yesterday.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #7 of 34

Just finished painting a leopard print on buttercream for a friends' birthday cake tomorrow. It was really kind of easy...and fun. Totally stealing the cake design from cc'er AngFox...with my own touches of course. I just loved the pink bow and leopard print together. This is the first time I've been ahead so far ahead of the game. I'm usually up until 3 working on a cake but this has been easy so far...too easy. I'm worried! icon_confused.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:54am
post #8 of 34

Finished 3 cakes. A wedding cake, bridal shower cake, and boys birthday cake. Then did a little work on my competition cake for a competition on Monday. I deliver the wedding cake in the morning and then get back to work on this competition cake.

Although I'm liking my cake... I'm really really getting sick of looking at it. It's like the never ending project. lol

Gonna go clean up my mess and go to bed. NEED SLEEP! Too many late nights this week.

leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:55am
post #9 of 34

Eh . . .carmijok, sometimes the cakes just come together. Some nights you're just golden!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:55am
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

PS I'm "representing" a historic neighborhood against "the man." Well, against a developer with deep pockets who's hired the best zoning attorney in town and who is trying to cram unwanted development down the collective throats of the neighbors.

Leah, I didn't know that you're an attorney/caker. I am, too. Law work pays the bills, caking feeds my creative spirit. Good luck with your case.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:00am
post #11 of 34

Hi everyone,

Go get 'em Leah! My Gram lives in the oldest house in her town, dating back to 1890's which is sort of a miracle for urban SoCal. BIG fan of old houses here too.

Sorry to hear about your dad Cheatize. Sending good thoughts your way.

I've been baking all day for a bridal shower on Sunday. This is for my cousin whose wedding I have to do the cake for in June. All the tiers are torted, filled and wrapped to settle for the night. I've been working on making pansies with my silicone molds but I think it is time to give it a rest.

DH is supposed to grab some dinner on his way home & I'm ready to kick out the kiddos' (loud) friends, put my feet up, nom & read. He will want to put the Kings v. Ducks hockey game on and I've got my new e-reader to keep me company.

Kristy

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:01am
post #12 of 34

good evening everyone. Getting ready to stark making ganache for a cake I am going to frost early in the morning. I work better late at night when I have no distractions. Husband still up and his tv shows.. hopefully he will be going to bed soon. Then I can change channels and get busy. I offered to bring desert to a babyshower on Sunday and everyone made plans for today and tomorow so I am going to do the fondant tonight and then just put it all together in the morning. Always something to interupt the best laid plans.
And to the person doing the historic zoning.. congratulations! Beem there done that. We organized an historic district that was becoming very run down and the great houses turned into slum rental . We were able to pass regulation that once into a single family house it couldn't be divided up anymore... one man played house monopoly and each house one by one was saved. He even bought one that owned by the historical society. We moved from there after 9 yrs of fighting.. miss the house... but not the politics.
new mayor new problems... best of luck to you on your qest.. I am off to make frosting. I am sure I will be back on for a break.

leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #13 of 34

cakegirl1973
Didn't mean to misrepresent. That why "representing" was in quotes. I'm not an attorney. I served of the Board of Zoning Adjustment for 6 years, the last year as Chair, so I know a wee bit about zoning. I'm a techno geek about zoning.

labmom, I live in a similar area. Third largest national Preservation District in the country. Urban "Renewal" in the 60's nearly wiped us off the map. We've come back strong, but we got a developer that seems to want to bring back the 60s when zoning wasn't well enforced.

Then I do marketing for a wedding group and help organize wedding shows.

Can't hit a moving target I always say.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:11am
post #14 of 34

I'm working on my daughter's birthday cake. It's actually "done", but it's sitting in the fridge keeping cold so that the giant crater running through the bottom tier doesn't cause the whole thing to collapse. Am waiting for the replacement cake to cool as I type. The cake is a topsy turvy and I totally screwed up the size of the hole that the top tier sits in. Way too small. Put the cake in the hole and the side of the bottom tier split open. Oh well, live and learn. At least her flowers came out nice. They're in my pics if anyone wants to take a peek and maybe give me some feedback or critiques.

Cheatize- Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he continues to improve rapidly!

Leah - I hope you are able to stick it to the Man! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #15 of 34

I am working on a 3d jack russell terrier sitting on top of a skateboard. It has been giving me troubles all day....from the rkt not sticking together, icing falling off of the side of the cake, running out of supplies, to temp being way too hot . It's been that kinda caking day icon_sad.gif But hopefully it will come together.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:27am
post #16 of 34

I just finished a cake for my nephew's dedication tomorrow. The end product was nothing like my original design. But due to many problems, it became what it is now. It is cute, but just not the design I had in mind. I made my ganache too soft, so as I was smoothing my fondant it slid down the side of the cake, even though it was thoroughly chilled. I knew I should have redone it, but I thought I would try it softer, since it seems most on here use it that soft. It was peanutbutter consistency, but I usually use it more like slightly chilled butter. Oh well, never again. So instead of it being a clean white cake with some blue dots on one tier and a blue ribbon around the other and a cross in the middle, it is a billowed cake with swags. I have wanted to do that design for a while, so I guess it isn't a total loss!!! I just hope it flows with the baby converse and Celtic cross I made for it yesterday. UUUGGGG!!!! I guess I will find out tomorrow on final assembly.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:37am
post #17 of 34

Hello all,

No cakes for me this week. Still waiting for my grandson to arrive. My other persona is as an event coordinator and I've been busy with a June Bridal shower and the wedding, one week apart, so have spent lots of hours making invites and figuring out the details with the Bride this week. I do have a cake topper to make tomorrow so it will dry completely solid for my Mom's Mother's Day Cake. It's a special one since what we are really doing is announcing a surprise full family trip in December for her 70th. So the cake has to be huge since the entire family is coming and, while the rest of the cake isn't Disney, the topper is. So that's how I'll spend my day tomorrow. Right now just hoping to get "the call" from our younger daughter!

Cat

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:45am
post #18 of 34

I am here tonight icon_smile.gif I try not to do this but I had a full day so will be up for a while. I am working on a Mario cake for a friends son. Inspired by another cake I saw here at CC.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:11am
post #19 of 34

I was scheduled to make a roller skate cake tonight. The order got cancelled a few hours ago. I had a crazy stomach thing this week and now having a slow, painful recovery from a root canal on Wednesday. I am grateful for the unexpected break!

Happy caking to all of you working tonight! May all of your cakes come out as beautiful as they are in your dreams!

Kristy

Smokey5266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smokey5266 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:18am
post #20 of 34

I am here, working on a breast cancer cake for tomorrow.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:23am
post #21 of 34

Yep. Working on Dora & Boots. I'm up! Trying to find a decent #2 (GP) to put on this cake.... icon_smile.gif Now am getting too tired to figure it all out.

LaFleur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaFleur Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:31am
post #22 of 34

Are there any tips in the forum section about how to make a full size sheet cake? I have my first bonafide order, and it is for graduation in June. She wants two full size sheet cakes, one carrot and the other chocolate. I've never made a cake that big, but want to do it for the experience.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:59am
post #23 of 34

up late working on a wedding cake, it is square and 4 tiers which are each a different shade of purple/lavender gradient colors bottom to top goes dark to light, then it had the reverse color gradiation in piping on the cake. Also my first ever buttercream transfer for the monogram/oval with scrolls/flowers/butterflies. The bottom tier is strawberry cake with raspberry jam and lemon curd, the next tier is chocolate with orange canolli cream and the top two are red velvet with cream cheese. A lotta work for a petite wedding cake (petite because it is 4", 6", 8" and 10"). Why did I agree to do all these different flavors and fillings in this cake? Almost done, hand was hurting so I had to take a break from piping for a bit. time to go back to it!

cheatize Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:17am
post #24 of 34

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! Thanks to Leah, also, for the congrats. I never could have done it if it wasn't a mixture of cake truffles, simply decorated cookies, and a three tier topsy turvy. Luckily, the balls, cookies, and cakes were frozen last week or there's no way I could have finished in time.

Mom2twogirlz: I'm learning ganache, too. This week I learned if your cake is too cold, it sets up too quickly and it's really hard to get an even coat on it. I felt like freezing the whole thing and then sanding it even. lol

Katiebelle74: that cake sounds lovely. I can't wait to see a picture!

My cookies are baked and my cake truffles are rolled. I'm deciding whether to stop for the night and shower, make the Royal icing for tomorrow, or put cake pictures in my album. Bed is looking really good right now.

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:31am
post #25 of 34

I was wondering if I could pick some brains! My cousin will be turning 25 next month and wants me to make her a cake. And I hope I'm not going to offend anyone by saying this, but she's quite different. She's obsessed with Disney. As in her whole bedroom is Mickey Mouse and has formal Mickey Mouse china. So on and so on. Anyway, she wants me to do a Beauty and the Beast theme. Any suggestions?!

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:56am
post #26 of 34

I just searched for "Beast" in the gallery and saw several things come up icon_smile.gif

As for me I am finished with the cake and now just working on some Oreo Truffles for a party tomorrow night. Will get up and go to soccer tomorrow morning with my little one and then I think a nap will be in order! icon_wink.gif

leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 11:26am
post #27 of 34

[quote="LaFleur"]Are there any tips in the forum section about how to make a full size sheet cake? I have my first bonafide order, and it is for graduation in June. She wants two full size sheet cakes, one carrot and the other chocolate. I've never made a cake that big, but want to do it for the experience.[/quote]

First, make sure you are both using the correct terminology. A full sized sheet cake is 18" X 24" (actaully closer to 18" x 26") snd if 2" tall, serves 216. TWO of those will indeed be huge. She really needs cake for 432 servings?

Will the pan even fit in your oven?

catlharper Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarberycakes

I was wondering if I could pick some brains! My cousin will be turning 25 next month and wants me to make her a cake. And I hope I'm not going to offend anyone by saying this, but she's quite different. She's obsessed with Disney. As in her whole bedroom is Mickey Mouse and has formal Mickey Mouse china. So on and so on. Anyway, she wants me to do a Beauty and the Beast theme. Any suggestions?!

Since I happen to be the same kind of "different" I think I may be able to help. How about a tiered cake, domed rose at the top, red rose petals leading down to the cake board to the bride and groom figures at the bottom. If she's up to it, trim with painted gold or just use gold ribbon as trim. It would clearly be Beauty and the Beast without sacrificing a "wedding" look.

HTH

Cat

LaFleur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaFleur Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:23pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFleur

Are there any tips in the forum section about how to make a full size sheet cake? I have my first bonafide order, and it is for graduation in June. She wants two full size sheet cakes, one carrot and the other chocolate. I've never made a cake that big, but want to do it for the experience.

First, make sure you are both using the correct terminology. A full sized sheet cake is 18" X 24" (actaully closer to 18" x 26") snd if 2" tall, serves 216. TWO of those will indeed be huge. She really needs cake for 432 servings?

Will the pan even fit in your oven?

I think so.. It is for a huge graduation party sponsored by her church, and will include 12 high schools. I confirmed with her the measurements of the cakes and she indicated she wanted full size. I also asked her if she wanted 1 or 2 layers and she chose 2. I just secured space in a commercial kitchen, but plan on getting the measurements on the ovens before I order the pan.
I did some research, and am not sure if I want to just bake the layers seperately in a full size bun pan, or bake the whole cake in a 2in high cake pan and then torte it. I have access to a walk in cooler, but don't know if there is freezer space available. I just got the kitchen last weekend, and haven't even moved my stuff out there yet.

catlharper Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:01pm
post #30 of 34

[quote="LaFleur]I think so.. It is for a huge graduation party sponsored by her church, and will include 12 high schools. I confirmed with her the measurements of the cakes and she indicated she wanted full size. I also asked her if she wanted 1 or 2 layers and she chose 2. I just secured space in a commercial kitchen, but plan on getting the measurements on the ovens before I order the pan.
I did some research, and am not sure if I want to just bake the layers seperately in a full size bun pan, or bake the whole cake in a 2in high cake pan and then torte it. I have access to a walk in cooler, but don't know if there is freezer space available. I just got the kitchen last weekend, and haven't even moved my stuff out there yet.[/quote]

You may consider baking a 4 smaller cakes so they are easier to handle. Torting a full size sheet cake is a challenge. Once someone told me to make half sheets instead and just make four of them (two for each layer) it was much easier.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%