How To Attach Fondant Pieces To Sides Of Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By jmpearl Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 5:39pm by sweetmonkeycheese

jmpearl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmpearl Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 5

How can I attach diamond shaped pieces to a buttercream iced cake? I am afraid they will slide off. Should the fondant be soft or should I let it dry before attaching? Thanks in advance for your help. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 5

Just slap 'em on while the bc is still soft.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 5

You don't need to let the fondant dry first. Just cut out the shape, brush the back lightly with water and place on the cake. Be care not to use too much water, but a little dab. The fondant wont slip, I promise!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpearl

How can I attach diamond shaped pieces to a buttercream iced cake? I am afraid they will slide off. Should the fondant be soft or should I let it dry before attaching? Thanks in advance for your help. icon_smile.gif

You can let the fondant pieces sit for several minutes (you can add a little tylose to speed up the process of them setting firmer) - you don't want them too soft b/c when you try to attach them, they are harder to work with if they are so soft. However, you don't want them too firm because they won't conform to the shape of you cake (example: putting a stiff straight fondant decoration on a round cake will cause the sides to stick out instead of taking the round shape of the cake). Let them sit just enough to hold their shape as you are positioning it on the cake, but not completely hard so that they are still flexible to conform to the cake (hope that makes sense). I've always and only ever used candy melts to attach - since I allow the cake to crust. That's the first thing I ever tried to use to attach fondant accents to BC and it's always worked so well, I've never cared to try anything else. Also, since the candy melts harden pretty quickly and solidly, a little goes a long way. HTH. Image

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 5

I just worked w/ fondant for the 1st time ever on my last cake. I just used a lil clear vanilla on the back of the fondant. I did have a lil bit of problems w/ a few peices, but there were really thick and had dried out the night before so I added a lil buttercream to the backs of a few of them. but most stayed just fine. It was a crusting buttercream that had already crusted.

now I know the importance of rolling the fondant thin and not letting the peices dry out!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%