I Just Need To Share My Crazy Customer Story For The Day...

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 1:26am by pinkpiggie78

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 11

So I get an email from a woman that knows my MIL and is asking about coming in to my shop (I work out of my home legally; the banner on all my web pages says I am a home bakery) and tasting samples for bridal shower favors or cookies as she is hosting one for 30 people. As I start to formulate my response, I decided to read the rest of my email. She sent me another email stating that she read my FAQ page (I only do tastings for wedding cakes and other orders of $250 or more) and that she would like to order a dozen of each of my truffles (4 kinds) and a dozen of each of my cookies (8 kinds) and also set aside some time to look at my portfolio (uh... have you looked at my gallery?) and discuss things. Really? You want to spend over $100 to sample my work before you place an order for 30 people? The kicker is that I am booked thru next week, she needs the "final" order for the following week, and I require a minimum of 1 week notice for all orders... thankfully I booked yesterday for the weekend she is looking for... what a lunatic...

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 11

I'll you that she wasn't intending to *pay* for those samples . . . .

ilovesprinkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovesprinkles Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 11

Wow. Just wow.

And I'm with Leah, btw. She's not expecting to pay for samples. Add her to the long list of overly-entitled clients.

Not that you even have time to deal with her nonsense. It's totally not worth it.
[/url]

pinkpiggie78 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 11

Well she did use the word "order"... but the funniest part of the whole thing was that she wanted to sample things before she placed a "huge order"... and that is a quote. Maybe she was planning on giving each guest a "huge" goodie basket as a favor...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 11

Not sure what the issue is...if she wants to pay for the "sample" orders that's fine, we get customers all the time who order a few dozen cupcakes (or even multiple small cakes) in advance of a relatively small $100-150 order. Of course, if she wants the "samples" for free then you won't need to spend much time on her at all.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 11

"Huge", huh?

I raised 4 sons and had 4 teenagers at once--- a "batch" of cupcakes was 150 (them and their friends)...lol.... and I am just a hobby baker... sigh.

I guess all things are relative.

PS. I am sure with her "HUGE" order she expected FREE smaples of everything you EVER made icon_confused.gif

Thanks for the laugh!

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 11

I have to agree with Jason, I really don't see what the problem was. When she realized you don't do tasting for the size order she was going to get she just increased her order. You would be surprised how fast cookies and truffles will go and its not like you can't keep the leftovers.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 11

The amusing thing to me was that this was all for 30 people and ordering all that would be more than enough for the 30 people in the first place. 48 truffles and 96 cookies to SAMPLE for favors???

cat2512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat2512 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 11

Just wanted to say I checked your website out and loved it! Your cakes are very nice and such clean detailed work! icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 11

To me it sounded like 48 truffles and 96 cookies was the actual order, and after she noticed that she didn't qualify for a tasting she went ahead and placed the order anyway. 1 truffle and 3 cookies for each person sounds like a good size for a party favor.

At least she didn't order one cookie in each flavor. icon_wink.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #11 of 11

Thanks Cat.

And sorry I was explicit before but she specifically said she wanted to place the order to sample BEFORE she placed her HUGE order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%