Spray Can Cake??

Decorating By ezkate Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 11:10pm by ezkate

ezkate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ezkate Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 10:29am
post #1 of 5

hi everyone,
am wanting to do a spray can cake (aerosol can) for my partner for his bday have never attempted one before any ideas, hints, tricks or anything at all!! would be muchly appreciated
cheers
e icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 5

I've never made one before, either, but if I were going to attempt it (and it sounds like a great idea to me!), I think I'd bake my cakes in some tin cans (soup cans, bean cans, or whatever, depending on the size cake you want). After I leveled the tops, I'd stack two or three one on top of the other until I got the height I wanted. Then I'd cover the body of the can with a rectangular piece of fondant which I wrapped around the sides, the way the label is put on a real aerosol can. I'd do the top separately, covering the whole thing with one piece or circular fondant, like you'd cover a round cake. I'm a big fan of crumbcoating with ganache, but you can also use buttercream or strained preserves to make the cake sticky enough to get the fondant to stick. The decorating possibilities are endless. You can tint your fondant before putting it on the cake or do it in white and then paint it with vegetable dyes or airbrush it. Does any of this help?

ezkate Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 5

thanks for that, i have though about rolling the icing like that instead of draping over like normal, although i have never rolled the icing like this before. i have some mini round cake pans so i thought i would use those and stack em on top of eachother using some ganache. for the top was thinking of using a mould or a small stainless bowl. i have ideas but they never come out they way i want them (not like they are in my head!!) thanks again
e

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 5

I know all about things not coming out like you have them in your head! But I'm finding that the more cakes I make, the more they come out like I expect them to. Stacking the mini-cakes sounds like a good idea. I forgot to say in my original post that you'll need to support the cake just like you would a two- or three-tier one with straws and cake circles every two or three layers. And you'll probably need to put a dowel down through all the layers to keep it from falling apart. You know, the more I think about this idea, the better I like it. I'm thinking I'll steal it from you one of these days (with proper credit, of course), if that's okay with you!

ezkate Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for that, appreciate the tips. have nearly fin cake, looks ok hasnt turned out like it was in my head but not a complete disaster either!!
ofcourse you can steal my idea, which isnt really my idea search for spray can cake on the web there are a few out there, but none which have any hints. always good to try something bit out of the ordinary, all good practice, all frustrating but worth it in the end!! good luck with your cake!!
e

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%