White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Help!

Baking By approachthebench Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 1:37am by LindaF144a

approachthebench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
approachthebench Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 4

Here is the recipe I am using:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/carrot-cupcakes-with-white-chocolate-cream-cheese-icing/Detail.aspx

I am in the middle of making this as I type this and something has gone horribly wrong! I melted the chocolate, let it cool, mixed the butter and cream cheese together and then added the white chocolate. When I added the white chocolate and then mixed it for a little to incorporate, the white chocolate hardened and I now have chunks of white chocolate in my frosting.
What happened?
I have no problem redoing the frosting if someone could give some advice as to what I did wrong or if there is some way to save the bath that is sitting in my Kitchenaid mixer.

Thanks!

3 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

Was your butter and cream cheese cold?

approachthebench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
approachthebench Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 4

Room temp or a little under but not like 'straight from the frigde' cold.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:37am
post #4 of 4

What kind of chocolate did you use. When I use Ghirardelli, I don't have this problem. But the last time I added white chocolate to frosting, I used Merckens white chocolate chips. Ghirardelli, has cocoa butter and Merckens has vegetable oil and both will react different ways. When I used the Merckens, it hardened up on contact and I had little grains of white chocolate in the frosting.

So my guess is it is the chocolate you used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%