Too Much Buttercream?

Decorating By dchinda Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 1:16am by amcakemaker2011

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 3

I have been having an issue with the buttercream on the top edges of my cakes getting smooshed when I apply my fondant. I use a crusting buttercream & I have tried both Crisco & High Ratio shortening in my buttercream. Am I not letting the buttercream crust enough or am I just putting too much buttercream? I really appreciate any help.

2 replies
kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 3

I for one don't think it is possible to have too much buttercream - but then, I am only here for the sugar buzz. But, seriously, yes - I had to learn the hard way - they either get a slathering of delicious goodness, or a beautifully smooth work of art.

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:16am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisue2009

I for one don't think it is possible to have too much buttercream - but then, I am only here for the sugar buzz. But, seriously, yes - I had to learn the hard way - they either get a slathering of delicious goodness, or a beautifully smooth work of art.

There are a couple of reasons and i only know this because i learned the hard way myself

reason 1- You do not have enough buttercream on it before you put the fondant on top of the cake

reason 2- You are not letting the buttercream dry enough before applying the fondant on top

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%