Cake Board For A 3D Truck?

Decorating By TiffyB73 Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 11:29pm by mommynana

TiffyB73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffyB73 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 3D truck (approx 19"x7"x7") and I need to know what to use for the board. I will be raising it above the main board to allow room for the tires. I need something that is easy to cut since I don't have any wood tools. Thank you!

6 replies
shaibaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaibaer Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 7

I used foam core board covered with aluminum foil for the fire truck in my pics. I cut out the spaces where the tires go and used a 2x2? board painted black as support underneath the whole thing (you can get them at home depot or Lowes and they will cut it there for you for a small fee). It was about 7 x 18 if I remember correctly.... maybe a little longer, so I wanted support all the way through.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1465919

TiffyB73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffyB73 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 7

shaibaer, how thick was the foam core board? And where do you buy it? Can you get that at Lowe's also?
Your truck is awesome!! Thank you for the input... I will definitely try that.

shaibaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaibaer Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 7

I usually use 3/16 thick foam core board. You can get it at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joanns or any art supply shop. I think it also comes in different thicknesses if you feel like the 3/16 isn't sturdy enough for you.... Or you can glue 2 pieces together before you cover them with the foil.

Thanks for your kind words on my fire truck. That was the first time I had ever used fondant!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 7

Foam core is on sale through Saturday at Michael's!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 7

I have been ordering styrofoam sheets from Dallas Foam.... they are WONDERFUL people to deal with and quite reasonable....... I usually get 1" thick boards, and they will cut them to any length or width that you want..... I usually ask for them back with the rest of the cake stuff when I deliver it , and then I use it again and again..... I never worry about having sheet cakes flexing or the icing cracking because of a board that is not sturdy enough.......

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 7

Can someone answer this, I have never used foam core boards, But one day i was at A C moore, And I wanted to see what they looked like, So I picked one up (wanted to see how strong it was) And the thing broke right in my hand, So how is that supposed to hold up a cake!! ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%