Colors Changing After Printing

Decorating By OneCreativeCookie Updated 18 Oct 2011 , 10:52am by icingimages

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 9

I have a new canon ip3600 with ink and premium sheets from icing images. I printed some test icing sheets 36 hours ago (Tuesday night). By Thursday morning, the colors had changed on the one cookie that I kept (I gave the other testers to a friend and they are long eaten now!). I had a pale blue monogram that turned aqua blue and a light lavender filled circle with dark purple writing/trim that is now slate blue. I printed a test sheet on regular paper this afternoon to double check that it wasn't just a trick of the light or a difference between my monitor and the cookies.

Some of the icing was put on a cookie with glaze icing, some are still on the backing in a ziploc bag - all have changed color. This is of serious concern to me because I sell my cookies and need to know that what I give to a client on day 1 of decorating will look the same after several days to a week. I have some test images that a friend printed that are still color stable more than a month later...

Can anyone help me with this?

8 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 9

We beleive that it has to do with the original file that was used. We print for 100's of people weekly but we always use .jpg's. Infact, I printed an ocean scene and then let it sit and it held its colors for days. Try working with a .jpg instead of a word/publisher type file.

OneCreativeCookie Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for all of the phone/email/CC help! I've reprinted using jpegs and we'll see what happens.

icingimages Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

make sure it orginated from a .jpg, not from a doc. Its funny because I am messing with colors and when you produce it in a word file and take the exact color and print it as a .jpg it seems to hold. So my initial conclusion is it interprets the color differently when coming from a document type program than a picture type program. Also, very important, make sure you print using Matte or glossy paper setting and that your quality is standard. I will also be testing whether when you print from word, my guess is that the paper settings may need to be different to allow for the difference in interpretation. We shall see, seems to be a new budding problem as more and more people are using different types of programs!

icingimages Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 9

So, I have figured out that when the picture has gone through any document type program, .pdf, .doc, pub, it has to be printed on those types of settings. What that means is generally, when you print a document (in the real world, not the edible world), you print on document settings such as plain paper and either standard or high quality. But when you print a picture, again in the non edible world, you print on better paper, such as matte or glossy and usually at standard quality settings and the pictures are fine.

So, transfer all that thought to the edible world. If you create a picture in a document type program OR it gets saved at any time in a document type program such as word, publisher or adobe, then you need to print it at the same type of settings, ie: plain paper and either standard or high quality.

Thus, when a picture in a graphics program such as a .jpg or a .bmp then you need to print at picture settings such as matte or glossy settings and standard quality.

Now, remember if you are using the Icing Images Premium paper, the backing is transparant so when looking at your image before it is placed on a cake, put white paper on it.

But these are my conclusions based on actual replilcation here in my office.

I hope this helps. please PM me if you have any questions.

OneCreativeCookie Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 9

[quote="icingimages"]
So, transfer all that thought to the edible world. If you create a picture in a document type program OR it gets saved at any time in a document type program such as word, publisher or adobe, then you need to print it at the same type of settings, ie: plain paper and either standard or high quality.

Thus, when a picture in a graphics program such as a .jpg or a .bmp then you need to print at picture settings such as matte or glossy settings and standard quality.
quote]

Hi Deb,

To follow up on my PM & this thread, if I have ever put things through a publisher file, I need to print as if it was a pub or doc, right? What would the correct settings be for this?

What is most confusing is why the colors are changing the prints look great when they come out, even sometimes after a day or so, but then they change. Sometimes before they are on the cookies, sometimes after. I am storing them in an airtight container, sometimes even in the sliver bag, but once they are on the cookies, they are certainly exposed to regular levels of light (not direct). As I mentioned in my email, I have other images (printed by my friend) that have been color stable since February...this is what I need to achieve icon_smile.gif Thanks for your help!!!

Kelly

icingimages Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Deb,

To follow up on my PM & this thread, if I have ever put things through a publisher file, I need to print as if it was a pub or doc, right? What would the correct settings be for this?

What is most confusing is why the colors are changing the prints look great when they come out, even sometimes after a day or so, but then they change. Sometimes before they are on the cookies, sometimes after. I am storing them in an airtight container, sometimes even in the sliver bag, but once they are on the cookies, they are certainly exposed to regular levels of light (not direct). As I mentioned in my email, I have other images (printed by my friend) that have been color stable since February...this is what I need to achieve icon_smile.gif Thanks for your help!!!

Kelly[/quote]

Hi:
I apologize, for some reason, I did not get notification of this post. If the picture was created as a document or in a publisher file, then it needs to be printed in that program for best results. Otherwise, the computer and the printer and the program may misinterpret the colors. So, you want to print it on plain paper settings and you can choose high resolution. But if you are printing a true .jpg or picture that was created as a graphic, you want to print it as a graphic on matte paper, standard quality.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 2:10am
post #8 of 9

I have had the same problem. I have a canon IP 3600. I printed a picture and it came out beautiful. I kept it in a ziplock bag for about 3 days before using it on a cake. When I went to use it the picture had darkened and had a greenish tint to it. I had to re-print it. I have my printer set to the setting that came with my inks when I bought them. I think it is standard setting with matte paper. I guess I'm a little dense but I can't understand what the print setting would have to do with the picture changing color 3 days after it was printed?

I'm not sure if I should ask here or start another thread but I have another question. I went to use my printer tonight and found that my yellow cartridge seems to have somehow gotten another color mixed into it. How does that happen? I had not had the cartridges out and have not refilled them. I'm assuming it is mixed with blue because it is printing a yellow/green shade. Thanks for any advice.

icingimages Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 10:52am
post #9 of 9

Price, your problems are different then the other persons. When the colors are printed, what you see immediately is not the final. The colors have to finish absorbing in the paper and set. Most images will darken a bit. But if you are not printing on the correct settings, then things are not printing properly and it will not print the images properly. As it sets problems just become more noticiable. Icing sheets can also effect color changes. When you mix different manufacturers inks and papers you can see differences as well. I wrote a long summary about this once and different types of picutres and the best settings for them I will have to see if I can find it in my forum. But as I said, price, your problem is different then the oewe have been discussing. I would suggest cleanig out or changing your yellow. If your colors are not mixing right then that can also cause a problem. I will search for that link

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%