How To Get Beautiful Slices Of Cake

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 6:53pm by indydebi

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 4

I see pictures of perfect slices of cake. The cake layers, equal with fillings, all look so precise. Mine not so much. I torte my cakes, try to put equal layers of fillings, but it all seems to mush together somewhat when I cut with a knife, anyone have tips on how to achieve this. Firmer cakes, fillings? Or are these single piece of cake pictures staged, is it even possible. Especially when you are cutting multiple pieces of cake at a wedding.

3 replies
dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 4

Now that is a good quesion. I wonder that too.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 4

It is very important to use a sharp, non serrated knife. Wipe the blade between cuts. Use a smooth steady stroke - do not "saw" it. HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 4

There are people who have degrees in "food art" and their job is to stage food for commercials and photo shoots. I'm sure you've heard that milk on cereal is glue and those beautiful turkeys in thanksgiving commercials are totally raw inside ... they're just put under a broiler long enough to turn them a golden brown (then spray painted for an even look). And my Big Mac at my local McDonalds is NEVER put together as pretty as the one on the commercials! icon_lol.gif

cake with equal amounts of filling? icon_confused.gif So 1" of cake and 1" of raspberry filling? Man, I'm not transporting a cake like that which is a guaranteed slider! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

And just in general .... I'm not even eating a cake that has 4" of cake and 4" of filling/icing. Or even 2" of cake and 2" of icing. That just sounds disgusting to me.

The whole thing reminds me of makeup and skin care commercials where its OBVIOUS the models are computer enhanced. Geesh, even the company doesn't believe their product can make a woman more beautiful on its own, so they use a computer to make the model "perfect". yet I'm suppose to believe that I'm suppose to look like that.

My thanksgiving turkey doesn't look like the one on tv either ... but its still delicious! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Don't stress it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%